What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to right now ?

To start the new thread I'm just about to listen to Mendelssohn's Elijah - a work I'm not that familiar with.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    To start the new thread I'm just about to listen to Mendelssohn's Elijah - a work I'm not that familiar with.

Hi there! Elijah is a work I love! I have Herreweghe's and Sawalich's accounts of it and they are both superb, Herreweghe's brass are most fun . Which recording do you have? Being you and englishman and, assuming you prefer it in English rather than German, try the Masur.

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
      Hi there! Elijah is a work I love! I have Herreweghe's and Sawalich's accounts of it and they are both superb, Herreweghe's brass are most fun . Which recording do you have? Being you and englishman and, assuming you prefer it in English rather than German, try the Masur.

I don't always prefer English versions but this work was of course commissioned for the Birmingham festival where it was first performed in 1846. I have the New Philharmonia with an an excellent line up of soloists, Gwyneth Jones, Janet Baker, Nicolai Gedda and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau -there certainly is some very fine music here.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

The slow movement of Bruckner's 3rd Symphony (1876 edition) followed by Messiaen's Messe de la Pentecote for Organ and his Organ Book constituted my listening list last night.

Comment

Gyorgy Ligeti's piano studies and "musica ricercata".

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
            Elijah is a work I love!
            Me too! This was one of my mothers favorites and I had always thought it to be by Handel.We were to sing it in choir when I was about 12 years old ,I was so surprised to get the music and discover it was a piece of Mendelssohn.

I'm listening to Max Bruch again ,this time it's Violin Concertos 1&3 played by James Ehnes,Charles Dutoit conducts the MSO.
            Kent Nagano needs to ride up on his white charger to save this traumatised orchestra pretty darn soon or it will topple like our government.

It's a beautiful sunny Pacific westcoast day.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

The songs of Stephen Foster.
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

For days I have been listening over and over the emotionally deep, deep and heartmoving new album by Bruce Springsteen. He is about the only modern artist who conveys to me such emotions and integrity I usually find only in classical music. And the older he gets the deeper it seems to get.

Regards
                Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel:
                  For days I have been listening over and over the emotionally deep, deep and heartmoving new album by Bruce Springsteen. He is about the only modern artist who conveys to me such emotions and integrity I usually find only in classical music. And the older he gets the deeper it seems to get.

Regards
                  Gerd
                  Chacun a son gout !

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Gabriel Faure : Requiem, 0p.48
                    Choir of St.John's College Cambridge
                    Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.

------------------

Comment

French music for me too,Saint-Saens Works for Violin and Piano.

Amalie,Have you read Martin Coopers book French Music?
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        French music for me too,Saint-Saens Works for Violin and Piano.

Amalie,Have you read Martin Coopers book French Music?

I haven't heard of that book Space,
                        Does it have a good section on French baroque, Lully and Rameau, Charpontier, etc.?
                        I tend to find books on french music are a bit heavy wieght on the expressionist side, Debussy, Ravel... ect. but don't give sufficient attention to earlier French music. It is almost like there is a republican strain to it, so that anything before the revolution of 1789 , is too royalist and therefore unaceptable. But it is really only in the last 20 / 30 years that we have recognized the fantastic treasure house of music associated with Louis X1V. Happy reading , and thankyou for the recommendation.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-23-2005).]

Comment

Amalie,
                          No, I have that book too, and the full title is "French Music from the Death of Berlioz to the Death of Faure". I personally an fond, not of the Lully period, but the Gossec/Méhul/Cherubini/Kreutzer etc. period, which is to say, the Classico/Romantic boundary. Also not much written of.

That said, I am now listening to a nice piano trio in F major Op 18 of Camille St. Saëns. But it is just coincidence, I swear it!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                            Amalie,
                            No, I have that book too, and the full title is "French Music from the Death of Berlioz to the Death of Faure". I personally an fond, not of the Lully period, but the Gossec/Méhul/Cherubini/Kreutzer etc. period, which is to say, the Classico/Romantic boundary. Also not much written of.

That said, I am now listening to a nice piano trio in F major Op 18 of Camille St. Saëns. But it is just coincidence, I swear it!

And no Messiaen? I've been listening to his organ music. Great stuff, but not for everyone.

Comment

Tonight on NPR, a quick look at the new release shelf turns up a two-CD set on the Philips label, from the Brendels, father and son. Cellist Adrian Brendel and his father, pianist Alfred Brendel, recorded all of Beethoven's music for cello and piano. From this new recording, the closing movement from the Cello Sonata No. 5.

------------------
                              'Truth and beauty joined'
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X