August 25th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 25th

Tomorrow is August 25th, Beethoven's Saint's Day. Although he was born in December, Beethoven celebrated August 25th as his birthday.

So, happy Saint's Day, Beethoven!!

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

In Germany and Austria many people do like to celebrate the "Name Day" of the saint they were christened after. So on August 25 these are the German and Austrian saints names that are celebrated on this day: Grella, LUDWIG, Luis, Lutz and Patricia. Now I was born in May but my saint's nameday is on 30 November (St. Andrew) and I sometimes celebrate it as a second birthday (when I am in the mood for some cheering up).

Happy Name Day, Ludwig!

------------------
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
    - Beethoven 1804.
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:
      In Germany and Austria many people do like to celebrate the "Name Day" of the saint they were christened after. So on August 25 these are the German and Austrian saints names that are celebrated on this day: Grella, LUDWIG, Luis, Lutz and Patricia. Now I was born in May but my saint's nameday is on 30 November (St. Andrew) and I sometimes celebrate it as a second birthday (when I am in the mood for some cheering up).

Happy Name Day, Ludwig!

Thanks for clearing that up. I always get confused with these name-days thinking it's the day of baptism. Perhaps there's a gap in the market and we should bring this one back, I could do with another celebratory day, now when's St.Peter's?!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Thanks for clearing that up. I always get confused with these name-days thinking it's the day of baptism. Perhaps there's a gap in the market and we should bring this one back, I could do with another celebratory day, now when's St.Peter's?!
        June 29, but there were so many St. Peters that you could pick out any day and have a fair chance at it being the feastday of some St. Peter. So take your pick!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          June 29, but there were so many St. Peters that you could pick out any day and have a fair chance at it being the feastday of some St. Peter. So take your pick!
          Well I'm only interested in the original rock!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

As Chris mentioned 29 June is the name day for St. Peter, the apostle and first pope. You can check it out here: http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=5358

------------------
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
            - Beethoven 1804.
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:
              As Chris mentioned 29 June is the name day for St. Peter, the apostle and first pope.

Thanks - I like that, 3 festive occasions! Or 4 if I count my second name and I share 30th November for St.Andrew.

Concerning Ludwig, I came across some evidence that suggested he may have been aware of his correct age whilst still a child. An invoice for a concert given on Nov 23rd 1783 from the Dutch court of William V lists him correctly as 12 years of age.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

June 29th is indeed the Feast of Saint Peter, observed by Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran churches. One of the oldest saints' days.
                Also there's...
                Peter's Chair at Rome, January 18.
                Feast of Peter's Chair at Antioch, February 22.
                Feast of the Dedication of the Basilicas of the Apostles Peter and Paul, November 18.
                Lammas Day, August 1. A festival in memory of St. Peter's imprisonment and his miraculous deliverance [in 1753?]. Also known as Feast of St. Peter's Chains.

And St. Andrew, Patron Saint of Scotland, celebrated on Nov. 30th of course!

So, you see, you have many days of celebration.

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-26-2005).]
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  Concerning Ludwig, I came across some evidence that suggested he may have been aware of his correct age whilst still a child. An invoice for a concert given on Nov 23rd 1783 from the Dutch court of William V lists him correctly as 12 years of age.
                  Saint Peter! That is notable, as many of LvB's earliest works have been dated only from inscriptions concerning his (believed?) age.
                  Is there perhaps anything more to this invoice? What sort of concert does it refer to? And who may we guess were present? etc. / Rigorous Regards Gerrottellass.

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                    Is there perhaps anything more to this invoice? What sort of concert does it refer to? And who may we guess were present? etc. / Rigorous Regards Gerrottellass.
                    Well it lists several musicians notably the important composer Carl Stamitz as viola player. Beethoven appeared as pianist in an orchestral concert and was paid 63 Florins (more than Stamitz who as a resident musician only received 14 florins!). This concert took place in the Stadhouderlijk Kwartier at the Binnenhof in The Hague - the interior of the palace has since been renovated but the hall no longer exists.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you very much, Peter.

Comment

Working...
                      X