Proms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms

The proms next saturday are performing the 9th - in true BBC style though we have to sit through a new work first by the contemporary composer Gubaidulina.

London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir | Kurt Masur Saturday 20 August, 19.30 - 21.40

Did anyone see the Mahler 1st last night? Terrific performance by Barenboim's wonderful new baby the West-Eastern Divan orchestra (named after a poem by Goethe).

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    The proms next saturday are performing the 9th - in true BBC style though we have to sit through a new work first by the contemporary composer Gubaidulina.

London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir | Kurt Masur Saturday 20 August, 19.30 - 21.40

Did anyone see the Mahler 1st last night? Terrific performance by Barenboim's wonderful new baby the West-Eastern Divan orchestra (named after a poem by Goethe).

I saw it Peter. The orchestra played well, but after a while I was feeling the same way about Mahler the way you 'anticipate' Gubaidulina. A lot of noise but ultimately not saying much in proportion, but you know how it is...

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-15-2005).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I saw it Peter. The orchestra played well, but after a while I was feeling the same way about Mahler the way you 'anticipate' Gubaidulina. A lot of noise but ultimately not saying much in proportion, but you know how it is...

I'm surprised you even attempted to watch it! As for Gubaidulina, I can't really comment as I haven't heard a note of her music, but something tells me..!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        I'm surprised you even attempted to watch it! As for Gubaidulina, I can't really comment as I haven't heard a note of her music, but something tells me..!

I often listen to the 'opposition' Peter, how else to divide the wheat from the chaff? Alas more chaff than wheat discovered so far...

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

This week and next NPR is playing excerpts of the Proms via radio on their program. Most recently was the BBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ingo Metzmacher, performed Brahms' Tragic Overture taking place at Royal Albert Hall.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
          X