Speaking of the Symphonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of the Symphonies

I find the task of rating them in any order virtually impossible. The only ones that stand out - in terms of scale and ambition - are the Eroica and the Ninth, which I have always thought were the greatest two symphonies of them all. I still can't separate them!

As for the other seven, I consider them to be the equal of each other. Each one has its own unique voice, its own character, and I can't help but feel rather protective of them. Almost paternal, as B was himself, especially towards the less-admired ones. If someone says one, say, the Fourth, isn't as good as the Seventh, I feel as though I have to jealously defend it - pointing out its best points without disparaging the other (for which I have the same affection).

Beethoven's Nine Symphonies represent something truly great in human achievement, comparable to Shakespeare's plays, or even putting a man on the moon! They should each be celebrated as something essential to the whole canon.

Did any of this make sense?

Daz

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...

Yes it makes perfect sense and someone said that if we didn't know the correct order of composition it would be hard to guess it correctly. Maybe the first 2 and the last would be easy but in between would be interesting!

I've always found it impossible to have a favourite - they are all so different and it also depends on your mood.

Amazing that whether we're talking about the symphonies, quartets or sonatas, any of these complete genres by Beethoven represent the summit of achievement.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Amazing that whether we're talking about the symphonies, quartets or sonatas, any of these complete genres by Beethoven represent the summit of achievement.

Yes, absolutely! Such an astonishing legacy makes you feel some sympathy for those who followed him. Mission impossible.

------------------

Comment

Perhaps that was why Brahms was somewhat intimidated by Beethoven and his Symphonies. Brahms said of his first symphony (1876) "Composing a symphony is no laughing matter...you have no idea how it feels to hear behind you the tramp of a giant like Beethoven."

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
        X