• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Oratorio, 'Christus am Olberge', Op.85

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I'm a Spering fan so I already own the CD (yay for me! ) and am not downloading, just stopped by to say that the spelling of Spering is wrong .

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Terrific music, but definitely operatic in style - interestingly a criticism that was also levelled at Mozart and Haydn's church music.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Terrific music, but definitely operatic in style - interestingly a criticism that was also levelled at Mozart and Haydn's church music.

I dont think Beethoven composed anything that could be played in a church as 'church music' in the strict sence, it was not his style. Some of Handel's oratorios are pure opera, but then they were designed for the stage.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
          I'm a Spering fan so I already own the CD (yay for me! ) and am not downloading, just stopped by to say that the spelling of Spering is wrong .

Sorry that was my typically bad typing, but I did provide Peter the cataloge details which somehow have gone astray. I'll repeat here. The label is Opus 111. Catalogue number: ops 30-281

It's a pretty good CD, with a more dynamic edge than you usually get with this piece (helped by the instruments of course), but I don't like the Seraph vocalist here.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Sorry that was my typically bad typing, but I did provide Peter the cataloge details which somehow have gone astray. I'll repeat here. The label is Opus 111. Catalogue number: ops 30-281

It's a pretty good CD, with a more dynamic edge than you usually get with this piece (helped by the instruments of course), but I don't like the Seraph vocalist here.

I also don't like much the barking of the Peter vocalist, but the Jesus is the one I like the most (and I have Gedda and Wunderlich next to him on the shelf). I admire the drive Spering puts into it.

------------------
            "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
              I also don't like much the barking of the Peter vocalist, but the Jesus is the one I like the most (and I have Gedda and Wunderlich next to him on the shelf). I admire the drive Spering puts into it.

I agree Jesus is the best singer (!!) here. Spering and the orchestra take the main credit. This is good music that until not so long ago you'd have had trouble finding a single good word said about it, like the Mass in C and the Trio Concerto.

Before his death Beethoven had ideas of producing some large scale oratorios like Handel's, but I'm not sure if Beethoven's compact and highly developed style of writing is best suited to this genre. How long would it have taken Beethoven to write a 200 minute oratorio of the same quality of the Missa Solemnis? Decades!? For sure he'd have to thin out his textures for such a long epic, Handel 'churned out' the likes of Messiah in 3 or 4 weeks, but although some of the music is complex he was the master of 'efficient' writing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-11-2005).]

Comment

Is this download still available? I can't seem to access it from the mp3 page, and cannot find it elsewhere. From what I hear, it's a real treasure and want to give it a listen-to very much so!

-Eushayson

Comment

No, you're about three years too late. The downloads were only available for a limited time.

Comment

Working...
                  X