Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance of Symphony 9

New member, first posting:

I took my daughter to a performance of Beethoven's Ninth last week. It was the first time she'd seen it performed live, and it was an excellent performance, but you wouldn't know that from the reviewer in
    The Washington Post, the creature.

The first movement was performed so perfectly, with real fire when fire was called for, and exquisite timing for silences and volume. The audience burst into applause at the end of the movement, not because they were stupid, but because they appreciated an outstanding effort by an orchestra not known for outstanding effort (Baltimore Symphony Orchestra) with a good-but-not-marquee-famous guest conductor (Jeffrey Kahane). The reviewer thought the audience was stupid, didn't know that the piece wasn't over. The soloists were really good. They had strong voices, great timing. The reviewer thought their German pronunciation was too Americanized. We in the audience appreciated their voices, weren't
    overly distraught about the dipthongs. Ah, well.

Susan, FATE, BANGING ON THE DOOR WITH A JACKHAMMER
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Well the reviewer sounds particularly patronising - he should know that waiting till the end before applauding is quite a modern phenomena, in Beethoven's day an audience often showed its appreciation (or lack of it!) during the performance (as in the 2nd movt of the 9th when the Timpani unexpectedly play). I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed the concert.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X