Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Overture to Egmont Op.84

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:

This CD is not commercially available as a separate disk anymore, only bundled with the 9 symphonies and the Solemn Mass. This set is a bargain if you can find it and the overtures disk is on the whole excellent (we heard the Coriolan from the same CD). This Egmont is a reasonable effort, not as lame as MANY recordings I have heard and the acoustic is colourful. There is room for more a little more tightening up but in the world of Egmont recordings one has to be glad for small mercies.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-02-2005).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt, but Egmont lived from 1522 till 1568 and was thus a 16th century noblemen...not a 17th century, the 80 year war between Holland and Spain waged between 1568 and 1648, in which a 12 year long interval of peace during which both nations *dutch and spain* rebuilded their army, navy and economy in general.
      I had to mention it, being a dutchman myself

btw...Great performance...neat tempo in the fast movement. I LOVE the melody around 2.34...sounds great what old ludwig did there.
      ------------------

[This message has been edited by ruudp (edited 08-03-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
        I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt, but Egmont lived from 1522 till 1568 and was thus a 16th century noblemen...not a 17th century, the 80 year war between Holland and Spain waged between 1568 and 1648, in which a 12 year long interval of peace during which both nations *dutch and spain* rebuilded their army, navy and economy in general.
        I had to mention it, being a dutchman myself

btw...Great performance...neat tempo in the fast movement. I LOVE the melody around 2.34...sounds great what old ludwig did there.
        Thanks for the information - Egmont will be put back into the 16th century!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          This CD is not commercially available as a separate disk anymore, only bundled with the 9 symphonies and the Solemn Mass. This set is a bargain if you can find it and the overtures disk is on the whole excellent (we heard the Coriolan from the same CD). This Egmont is a reasonable effort, not as lame as MANY recordings I have heard and the acoustic is colourful. There is room for more a little more tightening up but in the world of Egmont recordings one has to be glad for small mercies.

Wasn't this performance/recording available in a set of complete overtures? I believe I have such a set--I'd have to find it first.

I like the excitement with which Goodman energizes this work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Wasn't this performance/recording available in a set of complete overtures? I believe I have such a set--I'd have to find it first.

I like the excitement with which Goodman energizes this work.
            As I explained the 'Overtures' CD is now only available as part of the boxed set and not as an individual item as far as I am aware. Also the disk is not of the complete overtures - Leonore 1 and 3 and Namensfeier are missing, unfortunately.

------------------

Comment

More period instrument music - For those who are interested check out my Handel site for some superb tracks from Israel in Egypt Part 1 - The Lamentations of the Israelites for the Death of Joseph. this is first rate stuff. http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                As I explained the 'Overtures' CD is now only available as part of the boxed set and not as an individual item as far as I am aware. Also the disk is not of the complete overtures - Leonore 1 and 3 and Namensfeier are missing, unfortunately.

My mistake on that! I believe I have the same disc but I was confusing that with a complete set by another conducter/orchestra. It's still great music.

Comment

Working...
                X