Beethoven's Op. 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Op. 60

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I like it a lot. I've posted a couple of little replies to threads, but I've since spent a bit of time reading through past threads, and you all know your stuff. Most impressive.

This is a subject close to my heart: the promotion of Beethoven's magical Fourth Symphony! The reputation it has received, mostly through Schumann's rather simplistic "slender Greek maiden" remark, is entirely unjustified. I've even read a Wagner quote lumping this masterpiece with another, Op. 93, as "cold music"! More on the Eighth at another time, but on with the Fourth!

This is one of my favourite symphonies, and one of the many triumphs of 1806. Indeed, I believe it ranks alongside the other great compositions of that year, namely the Fourth Piano Concerto, the Razoumowsky Quartets and the beautiful Violin Concerto. The ominous slow introduction, the blazing allegro, the poignant adagio, the bouncing rhythm of the third movement (a scherzo in all but name) and that wonderful finale full of dazzling wit, daring and imagination. It is absolutely marvellous and I adore it.

Just thought I'd formally introduce myself to the board with a testimonial to this often misunderstood - and woefully underrated - work. Hopefully it will have you all fishing it out and slapping it on.

All the best,

Daz

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...

Don't worry I 'slap it on' often. I think maybe the 'slender Greek maiden' is a clumsy reference to the rather lean texture of the piece (by Beethoven's standards). But it is a work of fire and dynamism as well as grace, and this kind of contrast is a fundamental element of the dramatic composer's toolkit.

I agree it is worthy of the other 'mid-period' works you mention. A Beethoven symphony is a Beethoven symphony!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-02-2005).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
      Hello, I'm new to this forum and I like it a lot. I've posted a couple of little replies to threads, but I've since spent a bit of time reading through past threads, and you all know your stuff. Most impressive.

This is a subject close to my heart: the promotion of Beethoven's magical Fourth Symphony! The reputation it has received, mostly through Schumann's rather simplistic "slender Greek maiden" remark, is entirely unjustified. I've even read a Wagner quote lumping this masterpiece with another, Op. 93, as "cold music"! More on the Eighth at another time, but on with the Fourth!

This is one of my favourite symphonies, and one of the many triumphs of 1806. Indeed, I believe it ranks alongside the other great compositions of that year, namely the Fourth Piano Concerto, the Razoumowsky Quartets and the beautiful Violin Concerto. The ominous slow introduction, the blazing allegro, the poignant adagio, the bouncing rhythm of the third movement (a scherzo in all but name) and that wonderful finale full of dazzling wit, daring and imagination. It is absolutely marvellous and I adore it.

Just thought I'd formally introduce myself to the board with a testimonial to this often misunderstood - and woefully underrated - work. Hopefully it will have you all fishing it out and slapping it on.

All the best,

Daz

Welcome to the forum! We have Count Oppersdorff to thank for the commission of the 4th and the 5th though he only received the dedication of the 4th despite paying for two symphonies in advance. Since his correspondence with Beethoven ceased in Nov 1808 it has been taken that Oppersdorff was none too pleased with this outcome, but surely he can't have failed to be delighted with the glorious sunny 4th!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 08-02-2005).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Don't worry I 'slap it on' often. I think maybe the 'slender Greek maiden' is a clumsy reference to the rather lean texture of the piece (by Beethoven's standards). But it is a work of fire and dynamism as well as grace, and this kind of contrast is a fundamental element of the dramatic composer's toolkit.

I agree it is worthy of the other 'mid-period' works you mention. A Beethoven symphony is a Beethoven symphony!

Thanks for the reply, Rod. I'm playing it right now, and positively buzzing. Brilliant stuff!

------------------

Comment

Hello, Peter. Amazing if the Count wasn't pleased with this masterpiece. I'm on the finale now and it's so bleeding marvellous I want to jump up and down and chuck stuff about...

------------------

Comment

Schumann's remark "like a slender Greek maiden between two Norse giants." After the magnitude of the Third Symphony it's only natural that Beethoven's genius should seek relief in a more genial work. It represents a pleasant interlude between two milestones. A superb expression of tenderness and nostalgia. I believe the original manuscript was once the property of Mendelssohn preserved at the Mendelssohn house in Berlin. I believe also that the 5th Symphony was interrupted by the composition of his Fourth Symphony for some time especially the first two movements.
            The Fourth has been one of my favourites also for quite some time.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The 4th is my favorite symphony. I was fortunate enough to be able to see it live once.

Comment

Hi, just a flying visit. Joy and Chris, thanks for replying! It's nice to know others share my enthusiasm for this great work, although I suppose I'm on safe ground here! If only I'd discovered this site earlier. Looking back through the history of this forum, I've found so many interesting discussions and characters. It's great to share my passion with others of like mind.

Anyway, must dash. TTFN

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X