On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

July 31, 1886 -- Death in Bayreuth of pianist and prolific composer Franz Liszt, age 74.

Been listening to his transcriptions of Beethoven's 9th Symphony recently. Absolutely wonderful!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Goodness a lot of deaths in July! Poor old Liszt though had a ghastly last week which wasn't much helped by the attitude of his daughter Cosima who seemed to regard him as an irritating distraction from the festival.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Again I must ask what did Liszt die from and why was his daughter so unfeeling?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Again I must ask what did Liszt die from and why was his daughter so unfeeling?

I think it was pneumonia. The strained relationship between father and daughter went back many years and had its roots in Liszt's tangled love life - he had left Cosima's mother Marie d'Agoult for Princess Carolyne Von Sayn-Wittgenstein many years earlier when she was still a child. On the day of Liszt's funeral the Bayreuth festival continued (just a mile away!) with Cosima carrying out her administrative duties and the concluding festival banquet proceeded without a mention of Liszt.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks!!

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X