Your feelings about the first minutes of the slow movement of op 73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your feelings about the first minutes of the slow movement of op 73

HI, I want every body who read this topic , to answer me about what do they feel when listening the first two minutes of the slow mov. of OP 73.
    Personally , I think it,s one of the most wonderful moments of music ,s history.
    Regards , Ariel

Agreed. There is NOTHING else in the classical music world that sounds like it. I mean, the only thing I could say it resembles is Bach's Air on G from the Orchestral Suite No. 3, but even that doesn't quite compare. How did Beethoven do it? It's the most beautiful, relaxing, and somehow sad movement in a concerto that I've heard, with Chopin following close behind.

When people say Bach wrote music for the future, I have to apply that same thing to Beethoven regarding this adagio movement. When you listen to Beethoven's contemporaries and *their* piano concerto's, you don't even come close to finding something like this.

Comment

Oh yes, this is indeed one of the most solemn moments of musical history - which only Beethoven was able to express. This has something of a holy choral theme. The Adagio's from the Ninth and of the e minor quartett op. 59,2 to me somewhat have a similar kind of expression, an expression of contemplation and worship...

Gerd

Comment

One of my all-time favourites. I can't quite describe the feelings it evokes, except that I've never thought of it as 'sad' or 'melancholy'. It's strangely optimistic to me, so calm and tranquil, whilst at the same time so profoundly moving. Maybe an appropriate analogy would be a new mother cradling her infant, in that there's a feeling of strength beneath the serene beauty.

It's inspiring.

------------------
        Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

and it's also interesting to note that when Leonard Brenstein tried to express the depth of passion between the two ill starred of lovers of West Side Story he either conciously or inadvertanly paraphrased that theme in the song There's A Place Somewhere.

Although it is by far, far less hummable, the mystical depths of the 5th Piano and Cello Sonata should not be ignored. And if heard very carefully, somewhere near the 10th minute of that sonata, one picks up on the four or so notes that ultimately find themselves as the driving musical theme of the MGM movie classic Gone With The Wind.

And then there are those massively sublime moments to be found at great length throughout the masterly magnificent Missa Solemnis.

Here's hoping that others who hear LVB speak to them will also mention some of their favourite mystical moments in the genius' works.

------------------
          A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

[This message has been edited by lvbfanatic (edited 07-27-2005).]

[This message has been edited by lvbfanatic (edited 07-27-2005).]
          A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Mystical moments? Here's one, the 'Et homo factus est' in the Credo of the Missa. This very short section absolutely haunts me. It is heavenly.

------------------

Comment

I think the sublime "Sanctus" in Mass C is very mystic as well.

Comment

The 2nd movement from the 5th piano concerto is so special, and it is also very interesting to see how it took Beethoven 4 attempts till he has found this heavenly theme. I put these sketches on my my website:
                www.gerdprengel.de/sketches_op73-2.jpg

Always I found it so fascinating how Beethoven composed his works. Especially on the Eroica and the 9th symphony I made extensive studies..

Greetings
                Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel:
                  The 2nd movement from the 5th piano concerto is so special, and it is also very interesting to see how it took Beethoven 4 attempts till he has found this heavenly theme. I put these sketches on my my website:
                  www.gerdprengel.de/sketches_op73-2.jpg

Always I found it so fascinating how Beethoven composed his works. Especially on the Eroica and the 9th symphony I made extensive studies..

Greetings
                  Gerd

Thanks for that Gerd - yes it is incredible that these wonderful melodies that sound so perfectly formed (such as the finales of the 9th and Waldstein sonata) went through so many transformations to arrive at the final miracle!

I notice from your website that you enjoyed a trip to Vienna in May. I went on this pilgrimage myself two years ago and you can read about my experiences here. www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/viennatrip.html

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                  X