Live music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live music

We were doing reasearch papers in Lit class and a friend of mine wanted to do live vs recorded orchestra music in plays and such. The teacher didn't think there was much of an argument. Any good pros and cons?

------------------
    The day will one day come
    The day will one day come

For starters there's the visual appeal to it. You see musicians struggle on what would be a poor CD performance, or play an impressive CD recording without the slightest effort or passion, and that joins the music. Also, the sonics are natural (duh), which means they won't be "bettered" or "worsened" before they reach your ears aside from the effects of the acoustics.
    I guess seeing music being made makes all the difference; the technical difficulties mastered which don't show in the sound but are there for all to see, the squeaking chairs being more than just bad chairs but also retorting musicians, etc, all this is added up in the final result.
    Someone once said (or I did, in this case I'd be very proud of myself , but I'm not counting on it) that recordings are like photographs, they capture the moment, the landscape, but then you wish you were there, the real deal is much better.
    For me, given the appropriate venue AND audience, live always has the edge.

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

I agree with Rutradelusasa. When I saw Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D performed live, I felt so absorbed by the solo violinist, and when that main theme of the concerto broke out, it shook the whole building with melody.

Comment

One of my most memorable musical experiences came from a live performance of the Beethoven 7th. The players had caught the spirit of the work and the electricity they generated spread throughout the audience. Although the music wasn't perfectly played in terms of notation it was perfect in terms of enthusiasm and spirit.

Comment

I must agree seeing and hearing a live performance can't be beat! When I also saw Beethoven's 7th Symphony performed live it was so energetic and 'lively'! I feel like that about a lot of Beethoven concerts I've been too. It's very exciting to watch the show and the goings on as well as hear it. It makes all the difference in the world.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
          X