Leonore vs Fidelio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonore vs Fidelio

Which variant of Beethoven's opera do you like more?

Originally posted by Ludwig:
    I prefer Leonore (1805), but only because of the III act. There are of course lovely music in the I act, but Fidelio is there more coherent and the changes in music (not omissions) are for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
      I prefer Leonore (1805), but only because of the III act. There are of course lovely music in the I act, but Fidelio is there more coherent and the changes in music (not omissions) are for the better.

I have two recordings of Leonore, which is good music in itself, but all things considered Fidelio is easily the best for me. It is more focused throughout, if somewhat less conventionally operatic, by this time than it was in 1805.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig:
        *Fidelio* is my all time favorite opera. I have no fewer than 3 scores, and 6 CD sets including both of the *Leonore* versions. It is most interesting to see and hear Beethoven struggle with the music, the texts, and the drama in the 1805 and 1806 versions until he molded the final version which we know as *Fidelio* which I believe is a masterpiece.

It is a shame that Beethoven did not retool the wonderful material that ended up on the cutting room floor. Beethoven cut out of the opera the only real show-stopper, an aria and chorus featuring Pizarro and the guards "Auf euch nur will ich bauer" (I depend upon you). What a fireball of music!!

All the best,
        Hofrat

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
        X