beethoven and the organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beethoven and the organ

the only work for this instrument made by beethoven is the op.39. is there any other work in WoO catalogue or biamonti? or did beethoven transcribed some of his symphonies for the organ?

There are only a small handful of works by Beethoven for organ. It's a pity; I think he could have written some good things but that's the way it is. Somewhere there should be a disc that has the complete organ compositions.

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
      the only work for this instrument made by beethoven is the op.39. is there any other work in WoO catalogue or biamonti? or did beethoven transcribed some of his symphonies for the organ?
      The symphonies have been transcribed for organ, but not by Beethoven.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        The symphonies have been transcribed for organ, but not by Beethoven.

I know Liszt transcribed Beethoven's symphonies for piano (and did a marvelous job I might add)! Who transcribed them for organ? A monumental task I presume. Afraid I haven't heard any of those yet!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

There are a lot of exercises in fugue, etc, for organ which have never been recorded - except for a few here and there. They can be found in MIDI versions at the Unheard Beethoven site. However, I don't think they can be classified as compositions.

Michael

Comment

I reccon there might have been quite some LvB organ works composed in Bonn back in the 1780s of which most are now, consequently, irretrievably lost. Though not all...

The two preludes (Opus39), were when conceived in about 1789, most probably designed for the organ, and it was only later, when they were in for the printed version that they were also termed for clavier or pianoforte, just as well. Note: It was LvB's brother Carl who issued this and other opus during 1803, and it may be that LvB himself (at the time atleast) did not care much for how these preludes were presented.

Another prelude, in firm F major (woo55) possibly from 1785, must surely rank as an organ work, though it make some sense for piano, all the same.

Then of course one can count (but really ought not to) those numeral counterpoint exercises that our esteemable Michael suggest as plausible addition to the otherwise meagre canon of LvB organ works. Truelly, a prescribed instrumentation are not to be found and they could hardly be expected or considered to be executed at any occasion, neither by LvB or his teacher, since they simply are products of and for education in the arts, rather than the art itself. In this sense they are not 'works', and less to be regarded as organ works.
            However, however,; if and when one mean to perform this, the obvious choice must surely be the magnificent sound of a neat organ.

The music LvB once wrote for a fine mechanical clock: 3 pieces, 1799, are often enough performed on organ, together with two pieces, thought to be from 1794, that not designated any sort of instrumentation. One can only conjure what the intended instrument is (if it ever was any single preferable instrument from the composer's side). All given under woo33.

Geratlas ::: sending over and out :::

PS.I believe LvB occasionally copied organ fugues. Perhaps someone have the confirmation in store.DS.

Comment

In the recent BBC Radio 3 Beethoven week, the following were played.

Pieces for a musical clock, WoO 33 Simon Preston (organ)

Grenadier March for mechanical clock, Hess.107 Simon Preston (organ)

Preludes through all twelve major keys, Op 39 Simon Preston (organ)

Fugue in D major, WoO31 Simon Preston (organ)

I can't find a recording of these in his discography so imagine they were recorded specially for the BBC.

[This message has been edited by jdidlock (edited 07-18-2005).]
              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by jdidlock:

I can't find a recording of these in his discography so imagine they were recorded specially for the BBC.

I have an LP that has the complete organ works of Bruckner and Beethoven, but since my record player no longer works....

Comment

Originally posted by jdidlock:

No, all these pieces are available in the Complete Beethoven Edition. In fact that is where the BBC got these particular recordings and most of the other obscure works.
                  Michael

Comment

The Discography I looked at must be sadly lacking - thanks for the information, Michael.

------------------
                    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                    X