Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for music theory students/instructors

I haven't posted in a while...

For a while I had to work through STEINKE: Harmonic Materials in Tonal music; but I didn't like the cheap paper, nor the scattered approach of organization, so I researched for a superior book.

Well, I bought GAULDIN's Harmonic Practice in Tonal Music and absolutely love it -- he centralizes each concept to its own chapter, with thorough drill in a separate work book (this as opposed to the Steinke which required constant flipping back); it isn't printed on cheap paper; and the instructional book is hardcover.

Anyway, in terms of the 'technical' aspects of the book, I cannot criticize with much thoroughness since I'm still a student of theory; both Steinke and Gauldin write stylistically clear and compact English, so no complaints on that front.

Like I said, I greatly prefer the order of concepts in the Gauldin, as it seems to gradually build -- whereas the Steinke appears haphazardly constructed at times.

However, there remains extreme ambivalence towards the Gauldin in academia, as many of the reviews have revealed to me -- apparently people do not like the "Schenkerian" slant which pervades the entire book, as well as the so-called nonstandard vocabulary.

So I'm curious what you more professional theorists have to say about all this.

[This message has been edited by Beyond Within (edited 07-13-2005).]
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Roy Wilkinson's ABC of harmony is very good with plenty of exercises and it comes in 3 progressive stages. Also William Lovelock's 1st and 2nd year harmony. As a general treatise Walter Piston is pretty comprehensive.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X