Fancy Finland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fancy Finland?

At Katedralskolan in Turku (Finland) 18 August 2005 at 9.30 p.m.

In the very heart of Turku, close to the Aura river, a unique musical spectacle will be performed during the Night of the Arts 2005: Ludwig van Beethoven’s Battle Symphony or Wellington’s Victory.

Two symphony orchestras, the Symphony Orchestra of Åbo Akademi University and Wasa Sinfonietta, will be divided into an English and a French unit and this huge orchestra will, for the first time ever, be supplemented by the Arma Aboa Carolinian Cannon Group’s black powder cannons loaded from the front, double muskets, authentic military drums and signal trumpets. Ludwig van Beethoven’s Wellington’s Victory is conducted by the Artistic Director of the Åbo Akademi Orchestra, Conductor Sauli Huhtala.

The performance will be one of the highlights of the Night of the Arts 2005. The open air concert will take place in the yard of Katedralskolan in Turku. This unique event will also be televised by Finland’s Swedish Television, FST. The concert will be presented by Aarno Cronvall.

Only one performance

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Battle Symphony will now be performed in this extent for the first time in Finland. Since the performance of this work requires an exceptionally large ensemble of two symphony orchestras, real cannons as well as extensive pyrotechnical equipment and technology, it is possible to perform it only once. The drama of the performance is enhanced by the almost 200 cannon-shots and hundreds of musket-shots included by Beethoven in the symphony’s actual battle scene.

There is only a limited number of tickets available to the Beethoven Spectacle during the Night of the Arts. Tickets can be bought in advance in the F-Musiikki shop. Ticket price 25/20 e.

All Internatopnal enquiries:rosterba@abo.fi
    Tel: +358-50-409-6423

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

The performances in Beethoven's time used drums to simulate the canons and rattles for the muskets. Believe me the drums of the type used in Beethoven's orchestra are as scary as cannon fire when they're hit hard enough.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-13-2005).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Finland would be wonderful - I was in Turku and then on the island of Rymttyla ( I think that's right?)about two years ago. Heard some lovely singing in the Cathedral, heard Spartacus played as we viewed the Tall Ships procession along the river, and also paid homage at the Sibelius museum. Highlight of the week was listening to Finlandia on the island (which is not far from his birthplace) as I watched the sun go down over the beautiful lake and pine forest where we were staying. Would love to go back sometime but don't think I'll make it for these concerts sadly. Enjoy anyway

------------------
      Beethoven the Man!
      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Thank you Peter for making this concert more universally known! I am attending this exciting concert and will certainly tell you all about it!
        Johan
        Turku/Åbo, Finland
        P.S. Rymättylä/Rimito is the island's name.

Comment

Hello!

I just received two weeks ago my ticket. I asked about the ticket-situation: there were some tickets left. It was expected that all the tickets would be sold out these weeks.

Originally posted by Johan:
          Thank you Peter for making this concert more universally known! I am attending this exciting concert and will certainly tell you all about it!
          Johan
          Turku/Åbo, Finland
          P.S. Rymättylä/Rimito is the island's name.

Comment

During the Beethoven Experience a few weeks ago, the BBC broadcast a real oddity: Beethoven's own (supposedly) arrangement of the Battle Symphony for piano and what sounded like somebody's backside being soundly smacked. I tuned in halfway through it and didn't know what in the hell I was listening to. There was a voice shouting harshly in German (describing the two opposing forces as it turned out) and then this tinkling piano punctuated by loud banging sounds which were supposed to represent the canons and muskets.
            After this, the original does sound like a masterpiece!

Michael

Comment

How interesting Michael!
              I haven't heard the work, but looked interested in my literature of Beethoven - and indeed 'Hess 97' is the piano-version of Wellingtons Victory. He composed this version in 1816 (three years after the orchestral version and the original panharmonikon-version) and published it in the same year (Steiner).

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
                How interesting Michael!
                I haven't heard the work, but looked interested in my literature of Beethoven - and indeed 'Hess 97' is the piano-version of Wellingtons Victory. He composed this version in 1816 (three years after the orchestral version and the original panharmonikon-version) and published it in the same year (Steiner).
                by the way is it true that neposuk malzel
                is the inventor of the panhanrmonican?and how is it like?

Comment

Working...
                X