Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Choral fantasy Op.80

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

Great effort on this occasion from Melvyn Tan. The fortepiano is captured well in the recording.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Great effort on this occasion from Melvyn Tan. The fortepiano is captured well in the recording.

GRAND rendition indeed Rod, I never heard the work before but LOVE what I´ve heard.The fp is very light and transparant and well up to his task..also the orchestra plays very nice. thanks for sharing that.

Regards,
      Ruud

Comment

I have always had a doubt about one certain bar of this piece: after the initial chords, the first bar with the descending thirds (they start at the end of this bar) has only 3 tempos, even though it is marked common time. Is this normal? I have both Barenboin's recordings (one with Klemperer, and his last one), Gardiner's and Brendel's, and it seems to me that Barenboin's realizes this and repeats the last tempo in that bar, and Levin also does it on the second alternative start.
        Tan here does not. How should one look at that bar?

------------------
        "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

C??Originally posted by ruudp:

GRAND rendition indeed Rod, I never heard the work before but LOVE what I´ve heard.The fp is very light and transparant and well up to his task..also the orchestra plays very nice. thanks for sharing that.

Regards,
          Ruud
          [/QUOTE]

I agree about the tone and transparency. Contrary to what one might expect, a lighter piano tone is more effective than a heavier one with Beethoven to my mind, and the increased amount of colour (or upper sound partials to use more academic jargon) make up for the lack of absolute volume relative to todays pianos.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-26-2005).]

Comment

First post. Loved the excitement in the recording and look forward to many such revelations. My only problem is that my download stops near the point at which the singing starts. Have I made an error or is this how it should be?

Comment

Originally posted by saltwood:
              First post. Loved the excitement in the recording and look forward to many such revelations. My only problem is that my download stops near the point at which the singing starts. Have I made an error or is this how it should be?
              There is nothing wrong with your download, that is the end of the track. Given the legal considerations of this practice I avoid giving the complete opus where possible. I recommend if you like the music you search it out and if possible buy it to encourage futher productions in the authentic manner!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-24-2005).]

Comment

Working...
              X