haydn and the fifth symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haydn and the fifth symphony

the fifth was palayed in 1808 and haydn died in 1809 did he heard this symphony and what was his comment?

Originally posted by waldstein:
    the fifth was palayed in 1808 and haydn died in 1809 did he heard this symphony and what was his comment?

I believe Haydn was in the audience. I don't recall his reaction. It would be a useful exercise to list the various people who were in attendence at that first massive performance.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 06-04-2005).]

Comment

was he? poor old hayden, must had some real goosebumps... lucky the man's heart was alright, but surely he walked out with a higher boold pressure

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:

I believe Haydn was in the audience. I don't recall his reaction. It would be a useful exercise to list the various people who were in attendence at that first massive performance.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 06-04-2005).]
        I'm certain he wasn't there for that mammoth 5 hour concert in December 1808. Haydn's last recorded public appearance was on March 27th 1808 for a performance of The Creation (which Beethoven attended).

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Uniqor:
          was he? poor old hayden, must had some real goosebumps... lucky the man's heart was alright, but surely he walked out with a higher boold pressure

Lol! He certainly would have had a shock!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            I'm certain he wasn't there for that mammoth 5 hour concert in December 1808. Haydn's last recorded public appearance was on March 27th 1808 for a performance of The Creation (which Beethoven attended).

You could be right. Stories like this get retailed all over & can confuse. I wasn't able to find it in Grove's Beethoven & His Nine Symphonies. Apologies for the confusion.

But going back to the original question, if Haydn wasn't at the December performance, then it may be that he never heard it. Somehow that doesn't square with what I remember (and from where I know not) that the elderly man heard the work.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 06-06-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:

You could be right. Stories like this get retailed all over & can confuse. I wasn't able to find it in Grove's Beethoven & His Nine Symphonies. Apologies for the confusion.

But going back to the original question, if Haydn wasn't at the December performance, then it may be that he never heard it. Somehow that doesn't square with what I remember (and from where I know not) that the elderly man heard the work.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 06-06-2005).]

I'm not aware that we have any of Haydn's reactions to specific Beethoven works other than the Op.1 trios and the Septet. He must have been aware of a good deal of Beethoven's early work, but I don't think he could have heard the 5th, certainly not in an orchestral version - I may be wrong!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X