First experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First experience

I'm a newbie. I stumbled on this site yesterday for the first time. This is such an obvious topic, if it's already been done (I couldn't find it with a search), the moderator has my permission to delete it.

What was your first experience with Beethoven & his music? How old were you? What was the music? If you remember, who were the performers? In what context, and what was the result?

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 05-23-2005).]

I don't really recall my first experience but I do recall the effect of it. I think I must have heard the 5th Symphony while in early grade school, but those first 4 notes haunted me ever since and lead me down the path to discovering much more of his music.

Comment

I'm not quite sure, but I think it was either the theme of the ode to joy, or the motif of for elise. I was shocked by the beauty of both. Beethoven made me became actually interested in music for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:
        What was your first experience with Beethoven & his music? How old were you? What was the music? If you remember, who were the performers? In what context, and what was the result?

The earliest memory of having heard anything by LVB was in 3rd grade music class. The teacher tried to make us believe that the music being played described perferfectly a moonlight. I didn't see it then... can't imagine it now... and even LVB didn't think of it at composition time.

Years later I found out that the preceding and succeeding sonatas were even better.

------------------
        There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!
        There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!

Comment

Originally posted by stude_ham:
          The earliest memory of having heard anything by LVB was in 3rd grade music class. The teacher tried to make us believe that the music being played described perferfectly a moonlight. I didn't see it then... can't imagine it now... and even LVB didn't think of it at composition time.

Years later I found out that the preceding and succeeding sonatas were even better.

I was in 3rd grade, too, when I had my introduction to Beethoven. I think we listened to the 5th symphony, but I don't really remember. The composer I recall best was Haydn; his personality appealed to me and thus my memory of him was enhanced

Comment

Working...
          X