On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

May 24th, 1810 -- Beethoven's music to Goethe's Egmont is first performed in Vienna's Hofburg Theater. Beethoven supplies the overture, four entr'actes, and songs.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Yes I'm not sure about this 1st performance date - I know this site has 24th May as the date but 2 other sources claim it was 15th June. Anyhow it is a pity that the overture (the last piece out of the 10 to be written) is the only well known piece.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I looked it up in one of my Beethoven books and the date showed that the first performance took place on June 15th but that previously, on May 24th, that drama had been performed without Beethoven's music. Maybe that answers our question.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        I looked it up in one of my Beethoven books and the date showed that the first performance took place on June 15th but that previously, on May 24th, that drama had been performed without Beethoven's music. Maybe that answers our question.

Yes thanks for that Joy - so June 15th is really the correct date as far as Beethoven is concerned, I'll adjust that on the site.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X