Liszt Transcriptions of B's Symphonies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liszt Transcriptions of B's Symphonies?

In the course of delving into classical music, I remember reading that Liszt transcribed Beethoven's symphonies to piano. Although I was, of course, intrigued by the fact, I never put any initiative into trying to find these transcriptions on CD. This is mostly due to being preoccupied with other music or even having people tell me that Liszt's transcriptions are "bad" and it put me off. Although, at the time, my instincts kind of told me not to believe it because most of Liszt's works are outstanding anyway. And how can a transcription be bad? If you transcribed Beethoven's 9th to accordion, it would still be good... well, maybe =)

Being a piano player myself, I wonder if Liszt's transcriptions achieved the power of the 5th and 6th Symphony? I can't imagine what the marche funebre movement to the 3rd would sound like on piano, too?

But recently, I came across someone talking about the transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies to piano and I really think it's time I acquire them. I've been looking around on amazon to no avail. I also went to the library where they have a huge selection of old and new cd's to choose from and I couldn't find this.

Before I make a fool of myself by scrounging even more, has anyone here actually *heard* the transcriptions to know if it's even worth searching for them?

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
    [Before I make a fool of myself by scrounging even more, has anyone here actually *heard* the transcriptions to know if it's even worth searching for them?[/B]
    The Liszt transcription for piano of the Beethoven Symphonies were masterfully done. The Naxos label has recorded all but the 7th and 8th symphonies. Their cost per disc is inexpensive enough that you can buy more than one at a time. The complete set is available from BRO (Bershire Record Outlet) for a mere $29.95 and the label is Hyperion with Leslie Howard the pianist. There are a couple more to be had but the price ranges from $75.00 to $80.00. The two the I mention are very well performed and either one would be a wonderful addition to your cd collection.

The BRO web site is; www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com
    (Look under Liszt)

Comment

King Stephen - Thank you for the recommendation and the link. I've gone ahead and bought the transcriptions for all of the symphonies except 7 and 8. Too bad they don't have those =( I would like to hear 7 on piano.

And you're right. The price is very good for what I'm getting; less than $30 for 4 CD's. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey!
        I have all the Beethoven Symphonies by Lizst.They are on 5 CDs.In my country it is not a crime to put them for free download in the internet.So i download them all and they are with perfect sound.It is realy interesting to hear them.I like the 5th on piano.

Comment

Ludwig - I'm glad you're giving them praise. If I remember right, I could have sworn many people were saying the transcriptions were bad or poorly done. Maybe this was just from some snobbish people that think Beethoven's symphonies are somehow "tainted" by Liszt when they are played on the piano.

But I imagine some of them must sound incredible. If Liszt transcribed the marche funebre movement of the Eroica symphony well... I mean, shouldn't that rival Chopin's Funeral March in delivering such a gloomy sound of piano melancholy? That movement from the 3rd symphony is one of the darkest and despairing sounds of orchestra and strings. I'm getting myself excited into listening to it.

Thanks again for advising me to get the transcriptions once and for all.

Comment

You can hear the Naxos recordings, played by Konstantin Scherbakov, simply by going the their site www.naxos.com and opening an account. This is free but limits you to 25% of each track. For a fee of about $20 a year you can listen to each track in full. The sound is remarkably good even on dial up.

[This message has been edited by jdidlock (edited 05-05-2005).]
            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

Comment

I was a bit skeptical myself about piano transcriptions of symphonies. Would it sound powerful enough, would it be exciting enough like when performed by an orchestra? Well, I've been listening to them all this week and I find them wonderful and powerful as well. Beautifully done and Liszt was a genius in his talent for transcriptions. I highly recommend them also!

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

In my oppinin the transcriptions are not good.They are good if only you want to listen "something".But it is interesting to hear your favourte syphonies on piano.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig:
                  In my oppinin the transcriptions are not good.They are good if only you want to listen "something".But it is interesting to hear your favourte syphonies on piano.
                  Perhaps you have a bad recording? - I think Liszt did a fabulous job with these transcriptions and they are incredibly difficult. However we have to realise they were for an age when orchestral performances of the symphonies were few and far between, so most people would hear orchestral works mainly in arrangements of this kind.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Check out Beethoven's own arrangement of the second symphony for piano trio (op36), this is fantastic!

PS I'll be uploading mp3 tracks from op75 today or tomorrow.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Check out Beethoven's own arrangement of the second symphony for piano trio (op36), this is fantastic!

PS I'll be uploading mp3 tracks from op75 today or tomorrow.

BIIGG smirk ...canĀ“t wait

Comment

I have to agree that these transcriptions are wonderful! I've been listening to them this week and they sound truly difficult. It's amazing how something like these symphonies could be transcribed so well and beautifully.

Question; When did Liszt do all this and how long did it take him? Also, was the audiences of his day acceptable to these and did they find them wonderful as well?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          I have to agree that these transcriptions are wonderful! I've been listening to them this week and they sound truly difficult. It's amazing how something like these symphonies could be transcribed so well and beautifully.

Question; When did Liszt do all this and how long did it take him? Also, was the audiences of his day acceptable to these and did they find them wonderful as well?

They were done in 1840 but not published until 1865. Also quite remarkable are his transcriptions of 53 Schubert songs. The service Liszt gave to Beethoven here in making these symphonies (that were rarely heard in the concert halls) readily available to 2 or 3 generations of music lovers is overlooked today.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes... I wish Liszt had transcribed more stuff too. I want Mozart's Symphonies No. 25 and 40 for piano, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and if technically possible, some of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's.

I think Liszt did an excellent job on transcriptions of Schubert; those I've heard. His transcription of Ave Maria, for instance sounds much better for piano than the original score.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                              They were done in 1840 but not published until 1865. Also quite remarkable are his transcriptions of 53 Schubert songs. The service Liszt gave to Beethoven here in making these symphonies (that were rarely heard in the concert halls) readily available to 2 or 3 generations of music lovers is overlooked today.

Thanks. What a shame that they are somewhat overlooked today, they are absolutely remarkable. I've never heard his Schubert songs but after hearing the Beethoven symphonies I'm very curious.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X