Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pastorali:
    [B]Amalie
    Sounds like a Concerto grandioso - wonderful! Barbara Hendricks? I could get green of envy....

No Pastorali, I don't think Barbara Hendricks is related to the rock legend, Jimi Hendricks[x]?

Yes, the concert was most enjoyable Pastorali, I'm glad we could make it as it was on a weekday and having to meet up with my husband after work. Still, it is a lovely way to unwind.

Just been listening to a piece by
    Rimsky-Korsakov: Suite, The Tale of Tsar Saltan.
    The Ulster Orchestra.

I am in need of some Beethoven, now
    let me see .........
    Ah yes, Symphony no. 3, Eroica, the great symphony that stands at the gateway of the modern world.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 03-17-2005).]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:
      [b]
      Originally posted by Pastorali:
      Amalie
      Sounds like a Concerto grandioso - wonderful! Barbara Hendricks? I could get green of envy....

No Pastorali, I don't think Barbara Hendricks is related to the rock legend, Jimi Hendricks[x]?

Yes, the concert was most enjoyable Pastorali, I'm glad we could make it as it was on a weekday and having to meet up with my husband after work. Still, it is a lovely way to unwind.

Just been listening to a piece by
      Rimsky-Korsakov: Suite, The Tale of Tsar Saltan.
      The Ulster Orchestra.

I am in need of some Beethoven, now
      let me see .........
      Ah yes, Symphony no. 3, Eroica, the great symphony that stands at the gateway of the modern world.

aaahh Finally back...after quite some time.
      Today I've heard the grand liszt sonata performed by claudio arrau which is a wonderfull rendition indeed, but different from the sviatoslov richter I've also got since recently.

Yesterday I've been to aachen with school, it was a field-trip and it was GREAT fun.We visited 2 museums founded by Peter Ludwig, one was filled with modern art, like popart hyperrealism and related things.The other one was more classical and showed some exquisit greek pottery and early-christian wooden pieta-pieces and paintings aswel as 17th-century masters ranging form the dutch masters to the german and italian masters.

But the highlight of the day for me was a visit to the Dom of Aachen with a friend of mine during our 1 and a half-our free break in which we could go as we pleased.The church itself can be visited freely, some other areas however are guide-restricted like the throne of charlemagne, karl the great. We asked a guide where the throne was however and got a great peek at it for free, as it turned out to be the throne was located on one of the upper regions *the dom has got a few stories one might say*, and it was made of marble.But not any old marble we've learned, nooo it was marble stripped from THE second temple of the jews which the romans tore down in 50 ad. and in which time the romans dispersed the jews all over the kingdom.As it turned out to be *it was scientifally tested and proved with actual marble samples* Charlemagne got permession around 790/800 A.D to use the marble slabs of the temple for his throne and he actually also used the collumns *which originate from roman villa's of around 200/300 A.D* to fill up the Dom which in it original state was a building which had an octograph plan...*I can't really explain this...it's 8 corners...instead of a triangle it's 8...got the point??*...And the last thing I've learned and like to share *sorry for my rambling* is the fact that the byzantine ornaments as they are seen today in the oldest part of the Dom originate from around 1900/1913.The german Emperor Kaiser wilhelm II wanted to restore the glory of the Dom and decided to wreck the Baroque part of the Dom and replace it with *what people back then saw as authentic* byzantine looks, He imagined that the original dom in 800 would have been byzantium in its layout and ornamentation but this is now questioned by modern scholars but Germany isn't yet undertaking any steps to make another adjustment to this grand building...As you may understand I simply LOVED yesterday..

The music I've heard *and made my friend on the trip listen to aswell* were Emil Gilels' live performance of the 4th and 5th pianoconcerto of beethoven with kurt masur conducting and the slavonic dances op.46 and op.72 performed in their original way as a piano duet by Ingryd Thorson and Julian Thurber. Which was splendid aswell.

Regards,
      Ruud.

P.s I've written this in a fast manner and would like to apologize in advance for any mistakes which could occur in this mail.I'm still learning English on my school yet hope that you understand most of what my story is about

------------------

Comment

Amalie
        Jimi Hendricks[x]? Ah, yes why not? I wouldn't be sad to take place in one of those newyear concerts in 1969/70, you would rather tend to the Beatles I guess So I have seen there are some baroque transcriptions of their songs

I listen(ed) to:
        Kennedy plays Bach (Berliner Philharmoniker) unlike Kennedy's playing of Bruch or Mendelsson I find this recording rather weak.
        W.A. Mozart
        Le Nozze di Figaro
        Act I
        Herbert von Karajan - Wiener Philharmoniker

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
          aaahh Finally back...after quite some time.
          Today I've heard the grand liszt sonata performed by claudio arrau which is a wonderfull rendition indeed, but different from the sviatoslov richter I've also got since recently.

Yesterday I've been to aachen with school, it was a field-trip and it was GREAT fun.We visited 2 museums founded by Peter Ludwig, one was filled with modern art, like popart hyperrealism and related things.The other one was more classical and showed some exquisit greek pottery and early-christian wooden pieta-pieces and paintings aswel as 17th-century masters ranging form the dutch masters to the german and italian masters.

But the highlight of the day for me was a visit to the Dom of Aachen with a friend of mine during our 1 and a half-our free break in which we could go as we pleased.The church itself can be visited freely, some other areas however are guide-restricted like the throne of charlemagne, karl the great. We asked a guide where the throne was however and got a great peek at it for free, as it turned out to be the throne was located on one of the upper regions *the dom has got a few stories one might say*, and it was made of marble.But not any old marble we've learned, nooo it was marble stripped from THE second temple of the jews which the romans tore down in 50 ad. and in which time the romans dispersed the jews all over the kingdom.As it turned out to be *it was scientifally tested and proved with actual marble samples* Charlemagne got permession around 790/800 A.D to use the marble slabs of the temple for his throne and he actually also used the collumns *which originate from roman villa's of around 200/300 A.D* to fill up the Dom which in it original state was a building which had an octograph plan...*I can't really explain this...it's 8 corners...instead of a triangle it's 8...got the point??*...And the last thing I've learned and like to share *sorry for my rambling* is the fact that the byzantine ornaments as they are seen today in the oldest part of the Dom originate from around 1900/1913.The german Emperor Kaiser wilhelm II wanted to restore the glory of the Dom and decided to wreck the Baroque part of the Dom and replace it with *what people back then saw as authentic* byzantine looks, He imagined that the original dom in 800 would have been byzantium in its layout and ornamentation but this is now questioned by modern scholars but Germany isn't yet undertaking any steps to make another adjustment to this grand building...As you may understand I simply LOVED yesterday..

The music I've heard *and made my friend on the trip listen to aswell* were Emil Gilels' live performance of the 4th and 5th pianoconcerto of beethoven with kurt masur conducting and the slavonic dances op.46 and op.72 performed in their original way as a piano duet by Ingryd Thorson and Julian Thurber. Which was splendid aswell.

Regards,
          Ruud.

P.s I've written this in a fast manner and would like to apologize in advance for any mistakes which could occur in this mail.I'm still learning English on my school yet hope that you understand most of what my story is about

Ruud,
          That is really a fantastic account. I would just love to go there.
          Romanesque architecture is wonderful and to think that part of Charlie's Cathedral was built with stone from the temmple in Jerusalem, possibly even from the time of Solomon is an incredible thought. He was of course the first Holy Roman Emperor so there is a very neat link between the new and the old testaments there. It is around the time in England that we also produced an extraordinary leader in Alfred the Great and the ascendancy of the Wessex Kingdom.
          Thankfully it survived the war and allied bombing.

------------------

Comment

Listening now to Dvorak's symphony no.8 in G major.Nikolaus Harnoncourt and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

W.A. Mozart - Requiem KV.626
              Nordic Chamber Choir
              Süddeutsches Kammerorchester Pforzheim

Comment

Brahms Symphony no.4
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Leopold Hofmann (1738-1793) - Symphony in D major - Op D4. Lovely music. Perfectly representative of the time of its creation, and undeservedly obscure.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven, Sonata in F, 0p.2 no.1
                    Sviataslave Richter [piano]

Beethoven, Cello sonata no.3 in A major, 0p.69. Adrian Brendel [cello], Alfred Brendel [piano]
                    I recommend this recording on the Philips label.

Bach, Concerto in G minor, after Vivaldi, BWV 975.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 03-19-2005).]

Comment

Listening now to Saturday Afternoon at the Opera on the Radio.It's Verdi's Don Carlo.
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Carl Ditters - Symphony in A major from "Symphonies After Ovid's Metamorphoses". This one is called "The Lycian Peasants". The first movement incorporates what seems like a rustic folk dance tune. The whole surviving set of 6 (out of an original 12) are really Ditter's masterwork.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Carl Ditters - Symphony in A major from "Symphonies After Ovid's Metamorphoses". This one is called "The Lycian Peasants". The first movement incorporates what seems like a rustic folk dance tune. The whole surviving set of 6 (out of an original 12) are really Ditter's masterwork.

Goodness Gurn,
                          Wherever do you find these unusual recordings of all your favorite obscure composers?
                          I have heard and enjoyed these Symphonies of Ditters von Dittersdorf. Are these HIP?

I'm listening now to Brahms fourhand piano Serenade no 1 in D major,also reading a great book by Jan Swafford on Brahms's life.
                          Turns out Brahms wasn't a very nice fellow,he was quite awful to poor Clara sometimes and a real cad to the young Gathe von Siebold to whom he was briefly engaged.
                          No wonder he never married!

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I'm listening now to Brahms fourhand piano Serenade no 1 in D major,also reading a great book by Jan Swafford on Brahms's life.
                            Turns out Brahms wasn't a very nice fellow,he was quite awful to poor Clara sometimes and a real cad to the young Gathe von Siebold to whom he was briefly engaged.
                            No wonder he never married!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, but he was married Space, to his music. Least we forget there were times when Clara wasn't so nice to poor Johannes. As for the other woman, Gathe von Siebold, maybe Brahms thought he would end up like Haydn who refered to his wife as the 'infernal beast'.

This morning its the Mozart Vesperae solennes de Confessore, K339. Call it pre- Easter indulgence.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 03-22-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                              Listening now to Saturday Afternoon at the Opera on the Radio.It's Verdi's Don Carlo.
                              I caught part of that, too! That was very nice listening!

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:

Haydn refered to his wife as the "infernal beast."
                                Mrs. Joseph Haydn would light her kitchen oven with manuscript pages of her husband's most recent compositions. I think the "infernal beast" got off light for for her crimes!!
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X