No announcement yet.

What are you listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bach cantatas in the recording that has my name on it! Volume one of John Eliot Gardiner's mammoth Bach pilgrimage playing all the cantatas on their original liturgical day. This one has Cantatas for the Feast of St John the Baptist (BWV 167, 7 & 30) and for the first Sunday after Trinity ( BWV 75, 39& 20). Superb performances and recording (from St. Giles Cripplegate, London for this one) and excellent and informative packaging with full libretti, informative articles and photos. The covers in particular are wonderful. This obviously sets out to be very collectable and a souvenir of a unique event which the performers also clearly relished. Can't wait to continue the journey....

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 03-08-2005).]
    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

JA Your literacy and fluency never ceaaes to amaze me. I was wandering around our stomping ground this evening (RFH) Fond memeories of last week. For me right now (no surprise) Wolfgang Amadeus Piano Sonata in D K.576 Mitsuko Uchida Talk soon Keep thinking free!!

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
      Bach cantatas in the recording that has my name on it! Volume one of John Eliot Gardiner's mammoth Bach pilgrimage playing all the cantatas on their original liturgical day. This one has Cantatas for the Feast of St John the Baptist (BWV 167, 7 & 30) and for the first Sunday after Trinity ( BWV 75, 39& 20). Superb performances and recording (from St. Giles Cripplegate, London for this one) and excellent and informative packaging with full libretti, informative articles and photos. The covers in particular are wonderful. This obviously sets out to be very collectable and a souvenir of a unique event which the performers also clearly relished. Can't wait to continue the journey....

------------------
      Love from London
      Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_ London:
        JA Your literacy and fluency never ceaaes to amaze me. I was wandering around our stomping ground this evening (RFH) Fond memeories of last week. For me right now (no surprise) Wolfgang Amadeus Piano Sonata in D K.576 Mitsuko Uchida Talk soon Keep thinking free!!
        Why Sir you are too kind! I was at the RFH again myself on Sunday using their splendid but little known poetry library. Look forward to going there with you for a concert sometime. I was greatly miffed to miss the one on Sunday evening with Ashkenazy conducting a concert with the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, a piece from the Boss ( slips my memory just now) and Mahler's 4th which I bet was sensational. However.. having encouraged you to consider getting the Lindsay's set of LVB String Quartets, I was listening to them again myself today. As it says on the tin, "throughout the Quartets they place truth before beauty and as a result very largely achieve both" - a quote from Gramophone which expresses perfectly what I was struggling to say on the other thread. Do yell if you want to borrow them. BTW I also have that Uchida set which is wonderful. We great minds must stick together!

------------------
        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 03-09-2005).]
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Spacerl,
          Good tunes. Is that the HIP version with Gardiner? I really like that one!

Pastrl,
          La Betulia Libertada! Young Wolfrl learning his craft. Not many people have heard that, including myself. Good, a rare thing.

For me, it is more Brahms, now the Sonata in A for Violin & Piano - Op 100 - excellent Brahms, he said redundantly!

Gurnster
          From Vivaldi to Brahms? What a jump then! Hey, yes, 'Betulia' seems not to be on the beaten paths. For good luck, this is no judge on the quality of a work since this one is a very nice Wolfrl again. Great Arias, wonderful accompanied by splendid orchestral parts - finally all what pastrl currently needs
          For me actually:
          'Idomeneo' KV.366
          Opera seria in tre atti
          (Libretto: Abbate Giambattista Varesco)
          Staatskapelle Dresden Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt

This morning Overture and Atto Prima... step by step.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 03-09-2005).]

Comment

... and now after mid follows...
            Idomeneo
            - Atto secondo -

Comment

Cool! Idomeneo of course... now they are just building up Atto III / Scena I... psst..silencio... ah, they're starting....

Il (Rè) Pastore

Comment

Pastrl,
                Il rè Pastrl? I guess Idomeneo will go on for some time, as is only right. For me, it is some quasi-Wolferl - The Sinfonia Concertante in Eb for Winds - superb music, no matter who wrote it!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For me today it was Mozart's Overture to "Il re pastore" K 208 with Conductor Barry Wordsworth and the Capella Istropolitana Orchestra also Mozart's Symphony in F K 19a
                  conductor Nikolaus Harnoncourt and the Concentus musicus Wien. Earlier today it was Beethoven's Leonora Overture #3 by the ASO. A very good recording.

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Listening now to opus 56 with Itzak Perlman,Yo Yo Ma and Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Philharmonic.
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven Symphony no.7. on Bartók radio Budapest

Comment

The Piano version of The Violin Concerto in D ,With Jeno Jando playing.
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Schubert, Mass in G maj D167. Once sang this with a student choir ( for those unable to sight-sing!) at King's College London. Great fun for a middling mezzo!

------------------
                          Beethoven the Man!
                          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Aaahhh! immer Wunderbar !

Listening to Beethoven's Symphony no.5,
                            performed by the London Symphony Orchestra /Sir Colin Davis, live from the Barbican.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
                            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Romeo et Juliette Berlioz Riccardo Muti and the Philadelphia Orchestra A time honoured legend Any other Berlioz lovers out there? I have been listening to Harold en Italie a lot recently Wonderful

------------------
                              Love from London
                              Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_ London:
                                Romeo et Juliette Berlioz Riccardo Muti and the Philadelphia Orchestra A time honoured legend Any other Berlioz lovers out there? I have been listening to Harold en Italie a lot recently Wonderful

Tony,
                                I am no fanatic for Berlioz, but yesterday i listened to Harold (wonderful piece) Symphonie Fantastique and the Grand Symphonie Funebre at Triomphale. Probably enough Hector for a while, but it was a good time while it lasted.

Right now, it is Dvorak - Quartet in C major, #11 Op 61. I think he wrote this to prove that he could be a neo-classicist as well as Brahms was. Beautiful little work.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment