What are you listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Stephen:
    Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony. It has me yearning for spring. Performed here by John Eliot Gadiner and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique.
    This is the weakest of all the recordings of the 6th on period instruments in my opinion.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Grey and drizzly Sunday AM, glad I got my golf in yesterday! Still and all, the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - LvB - Vienna PO / Bernstein is always good to raise ones spirits even in the naughtiest weather. May even listen to the lovely 6th after. Harnoncourt is queued up with Bernstein, there's a treat!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        This is the weakest of all the recordings of the 6th on period instruments in my opinion.

I disagree with you on the recording, of all the recordings on period instruments of this symphony I find this to be the warmest with a tempi that is taken at a pace deserving of the work. I think we are so used to hearing this work with larger forces and modern instuments that when we hear it the way a conductor like John Eliot Gardiner with the ORR performs it we tend to think of it being on the weak side when in reality I believe we are hearing it as close to what LvB intended it to be heard.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
          I disagree with you on the recording, of all the recordings on period instruments of this symphony I find this to be the warmest with a tempi that is taken at a pace deserving of the work. I think we are so used to hearing this work with larger forces and modern instuments that when we hear it the way a conductor like John Eliot Gardiner with the ORR performs it we tend to think of it being on the weak side when in reality I believe we are hearing it as close to what LvB intended it to be heard.
          I think you misunderstood my point, I meant Gardiner's is the least authentic of the authentic performances. Like most 'modern' renditions, his first movement in particular is heavy and joyless, and the storm has some bizarre moments.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-06-2005).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            I think you misunderstood my point, I meant Gardiner's is the least authentic of the authentic performances. Like most 'modern' renditions, his first movement in particular is heavy and joyless, and the storm has some bizarre moments.

It is obvious that you and I will continue ,I hope in good fashion, to disagree. I find the first movement to abound in feelings of cheerfulness at a pace a little faster than what I have been used to for all the many years that I have listened to it but that dosen't make it any less cheerful and as for the thunderstorm, I absolutlely think Gariner captures the spirit and wildness of a thunderstorm. As in any complete set of Beethoven symphonies you will have drawbacks but with the Gadiner addition I find it to be a well rounded set with very little criticism on my part. My comparison between Gadiner and the von Karajan is based on tempi and the warmth of the Karajan recording. Ironically I usually find von Karajan to be a bit on the sterile side but I do like his Pastoral(1962)recording. As with all muisc it all stems back to personal likes and dislikes.

Comment

Haydn The Creation Simon Rattle (pre Knighthood) and the CBSO. The big bang. Music from aomewhere special

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

Listening now to Beethoven's Piano Concerto
                no 1 in C opus 15.Alfred Brendel The Vienna Phil and Sir Simon Rattle.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven, Overture: Fidelio.
                  COE / Nicholas Harnoncourt.

Beethoven: Complete String Trios,
                  Arthur Grumiaux

Bach: Violin concerto in A minor.BWV1041
                  Arthur Grumaux.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
                  ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Today I listened to Messiaen's "Visions De L'Amen" for piano (not for the more traditional minded) and his orchestral works, "Les Offrandes Oubliees" and "Hymne Au Saint-Sacrement". I found those very enjoyable, although I think the cat disliked teh "Visions" for some strange reason.

Also listened to some of the Bachiannas Brasileiras of Villa Lobos. Very nice music, there!

Closed the day with selections from Bach's complete organ works (including the Vivaldi Concerti transcriptions).

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 03-07-2005).]

Comment

Barbara Frittoli sings Mozart Arias - a perfect start in the day.
                      Mackerras/Scottish Chamber Orch.

Comment

Continuing with the Beethoven Symphonies, this morninig it's the Symphonies No.5 and No.7 performed by Carlos Klieber and the vienna Philharmonic.

Comment

Pastrl,
                          Oh, I didn't know that the lovely Barbara was accompanied by MacKerras in those. That makes it even better. Guten dag!

King,
                          Still my favorite versions of those two symphonies. I sure wish he had done the whole cycle!

For me, it is the Trio in B major for Piano & Strings - #1 - Op 8 - Johannes Brahms. Beaux Arts Trio. Wonderful pseudo-Classical chamber music!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Schumann's "Rhenish" Symphony in E flat major, opus 97.
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

'La Betulia Liberata' KV.118
                              Azione sacra in due parte
                              (Text Pietro Metastasio)
                              Peter Maag conductor/Orchestra da Camera di Pedova

Comment

Spacerl,
                                Good tunes. Is that the HIP version with Gardiner? I really like that one!

Pastrl,
                                La Betulia Libertada! Young Wolfrl learning his craft. Not many people have heard that, including myself. Good, a rare thing.

For me, it is more Brahms, now the Sonata in A for Violin & Piano - Op 100 - excellent Brahms, he said redundantly!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment