am.

BEETHOVEN: Mass in C major,
      Collegium Musicum / Richard Hickox.

So beautiful >

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Chopin Piano Concertos 1 & 2, and the trois nouvelles etudes played by the great Arthur Rubinstein.

Comment

Right you are Amalie, great music!!
          Later today on NPR will be Barry Douglas, pianist and Music Director and conductor of Camerata Ireland. He's the pianist in Camerata Ireland's performance of the Piano Concerto No. 2 by Beethoven. Also a rendition of Mozart's Overture Magic Flute.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Try these first I think -

String Sextet in Bb - also the one in G.
            Violin sonatas - try A major.
            Piano trio no.1 in B
            Piano quintet in F minor

Hmmm... I've got to look after that string sextet... As for the rest of your suggestions, I completely agree. The piano trio, the violin sonatas and the piano quintet in F minor are magnific.

This evening I'm listening to some of Brahms' solo piano played by Rubinstein:
            Piano sonata op5
            Capriccio op 76 no 2
            Intermezzo op 117 no 2
            Rhapsodies op 79 nos 1 & 2, and op 119 no 4

Comment

Monteverdi: L'incoronazione di Poppea (Harnoncourt)

Comment

Sain-Saens cello concerto in A
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

There are two cello concertos by SS are there not? Is anybody familiar with the rarely played one?

I have new CDS!!!!

Due to my birthday coinciding with a great sale at Borders, I actually have new music.

Right now I am listening to the new Richard Goode/Mozart recording. It has a couple sonatas plus some shorter pieces.

Beautiful recording. I like the a minor rondo a lot. Sometimes this comes off as precious or cold and tragic and in his hands in it is very natural and vibrant.

Nothing like a good old fashioned unperiod instrument recording of Mozart. Ah.

I have noticed that he has a tendency to move things along a lot. It can be a little annoying, though usually it serves the music. I'm not saying he is rushing. It is intentional, I'm sure. Things get a bit settled and then he just gets the ball rolling.

Anybody else notice that with his playing?

Comment

Happy Birthday Urtext,may you enjoy many more.

I can't remember why Camille's other cello concerto is not often played I'll listen to them both and see if one is dreadful.

I'm listening to Liszt's Piano transcription of Beethoven's 9th .Since the Gurnster has abandoned us someone will have to be listening to the 9th on Sundays
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

It does seem as though the Gurnster has 'flew the coop'. I wonder if he got lost on the golf course somewhere and is still wandering endlessly on the greens!
                      For my listening this morning it was
                      Smetana's The BArtered Bride! A good way to get moving in the morning.

------------------

Comment

Today it's the Chopin 2 piano concertos chamber version (that is, piano, 2 violins, viola, cello & double bass), and Liszt's Paganini studies & Schubert march transcriptions.
                        That's a thrilling evening!

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                          am.

BEETHOVEN: Mass in C major,
                          Collegium Musicum / Richard Hickox.

So beautiful >

I also rejoice of this choice of music!

Comment

Beethoven's 25 scottish songs, op 108.
                            Purcell's Fantasias for 3, 4 & 5 instuments, Pavan and Chacony for 4 instruments, and In Nomine for 6 & 7 instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:

.Since the Gurnster has abandoned us someone will have to be listening to the 9th on Sundays
                              The Gurnster is alive and doing well after falling into a large gopher hole and being saved by a passing armadillo he is doing very well. He spent some time recuperating at the home for used golf balls and men whose scores never get below the day time temperature in Texas in July. I am sure we will all see him back soon. I would help on Sundays but that's my day to mow the lawn and wash the cars, as Kings always do.

Comment

Funny King!!! I'm glad ot hear the Gurnster is doing so well. i kind of thought he might have fallen into a large hole while golfing! That must have been one large gopher hole!

Listening today to the Eroica Trio in concert at the Mainly Mozart Festival in California. Violinist Adela Pena, cellist Sara Sant'Ambrogio and pianist Erika Nickrenz perform the Piano Trio, Op. 121 by Beethoven, known as the "Kakadu Variations" all via NPR.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X