• Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - 3 Songs from Op.75

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I liked the first one particularly.

This is one instance where the soloist's modern instrument is also the original instrument.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      I liked the first one particularly.

This is one instance where the soloist's modern instrument is also the original instrument.
      The first one presented here (2nd of the group of 6) had been set before by Beethoven in 1798 as WoO127. I agree that of the three here it is perhaps the most inspired. Regarding the last song, the poet Reissig (a volunteer in the Austrian army)had been injured at the Battle of Aspern and it was apparently out of sympathy for him that Beethoven agreed to set some of his poems. However Reissig was in the habit of publishing without the composer's consent which naturally infuriated Beethoven who referred to him as "that scoundrel of a captain" - however Beethoven later set 2 more poems by him!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 05-09-2005).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

The finest song of the set is Kennst du das Land which we had at the 'rare Beethoven' mp3 page, but I haven't got a version with fortepiano. This is really excellent. The others are lighter 'occasional' pieces that do not really call for such distinction and I'm sure Beethoven never expected them to. I like his lieder style in either case, not all music such as this needs to be a romantic epic.

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-10-2005).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X