Only a rose....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only a rose....

Not strictly Beethoven but I wonder if you guys can help me. My beloved daughter has her 21st Birthday in June and it has been a family tradition to give her roses in some form or other. This year I wanted to make her a personalised CD of musical roses. I have plenty of popular music possibilities from Seal to Ethel Merman! I want however to include some classical pieces too, but apart from a couple of medieval carols and a setting of Burn's poem I'm struggling to come up with some. Any suggestions? I'm sure the musicians of the Tudor period must have had a few.......

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!
    Beethoven the Man!

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
    Not strictly Beethoven but I wonder if you guys can help me. My beloved daughter has her 21st Birthday in June and it has been a family tradition to give her roses in some form or other. This year I wanted to make her a personalised CD of musical roses. I have plenty of popular music possibilities from Seal to Ethel Merman! I want however to include some classical pieces too, but apart from a couple of medieval carols and a setting of Burn's poem I'm struggling to come up with some. Any suggestions? I'm sure the musicians of the Tudor period must have had a few.......

Judith,
    I wonder if these songs will be of interests to you,, Beethoven set music to The Last Rose of Summer, ( perhaps not appropriate for your daughters birthday) , This really lovely piece comes under - 6 National Airs with variations,, 0p. 105.
    You may find my earlier reference with lyrics on the following page - > http://www.gyrix.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001876.html

Have you heard - Strauss, Roses from the South ?

Will have more time to look later.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-16-2005).]

Comment

Did you include La vie en Rose,Edith Piaf
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Don't forget Edward MacDowell's "To A Wild Rose" from his Woodland Sketches. That's a very nice piece for piano.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think there's a waltz by one of the Strausses called "Roses from the South".
          Michael

Comment

Schumann wrote a big piece called "Der Rose Pilgefahrt" - "the pilgrimage of a rose", maybe in it you can find a beautiful piece, it is in several movements, for choir and orchestra (and soloists? dunno...)

------------------
            "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

And what about the book :"The name of the Rose" by Umberto Eko

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig:
                And what about the book :"The name of the Rose" by Umberto Eko

What's the relevance of Umberto Eco ??

------------------

Comment

Scott Joplin "Rose Leaf Rag" I saw a programme a while back about Mr Joplin Apparently his output,which included a vast repertoire including operas, was highly but quietly acclaimed amongst the cognoscenti of the time. However, being a black genius, perhaps predictably he was prejudiced against by the establishment and it took a sweet charming rag in a Hollywood film many years later to alert us of his enormous talent

Call in to see me sometime. Memories of Grolsch and house white at the RFH quickly fade.Us champions of public protection in London need to stick together. Oh and by the way did you know that there is a general election coming up?

Tony xxx

------------------
                  Love from London
                  Love from London

Comment

How about the duet or the glorious trio from Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier (Knight of the Rose)?

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you all for some wonderful suggestions - happy to receive any more.
                      The Beethoven is definitely going on as is the Piaf - thanks for reminding me of that Spaceray. Haven't yet had chance to hear either of the Strausses or the Schumann (too busy with the election) but I'll get there too.
                      TJ - I don't have the Joplin on my disc of his rags but I'll look that and you up soon - How are you finding the LVB Quartets?
                      BTW am I right in thinking there's a popularly named Rose Adagio in Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty? Seems highly appropriate for a second year Oxford student after too many late nights... studying of course!

------------------
                      Beethoven the Man!
                      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Whenever I think of a rose and music together, there's only one thing: "The Phantom of the Opera"...

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

What's the relevance of Umberto Eco ??

Amalie, I wonder about the relevance also. The Name of the Rose was a murder mystery set in a monastery back in middle ages.

Comment

Yes King,, you are right, there are other themes as well of course, and it is a very witty indeed profound novel, about religion and toleration. I am fond of Eco's books, they are so engrossing to read and he wears his great learning very lightly. I loved his novel, 'The Island of The Day Before' all about time and the struggle to find the secret of longitude.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X