What do you think about No.19?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think about No.19?

I just started to learning to play that piece, don't know why, it's like it never existed for me before - because nobody I knew ever talked about it much! I had a look at the score and I think it's nice so I'm playing it. Am I alone on this? What do you think about it? Do you think it's not worth the effort?

Uni,
    Of course it's worth the effort! This lovely little sonata in g minor was composed in 1797, but B didn't publish it at the time, but later (1802?) his brother submitted it to a publisher. B was irked because he felt that it didn't properly represent the "state of the art" for him. However, that doesn't detract from its quality in any way.
    Boy, I wish I could pick and choose, I can't even play anything but the CD player!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn, a cool name you've got there!

Thanks for the infor about the piece, and I'm gald that you think it's a beauty too. I've heard a lot of people saying that the piece is g, but the first note in the first whole bar is b flat, and to make the matter worse, there are minor key changes thruout. So does anyone know what key should we take it as?

(Eh, also, can any German poster here tell me how the name Friederich Nietzsche is properly pronouced?)

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 05-01-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Uniqor:
        Gurn, a cool name you've got there!

Thanks for the infor about the piece, and I'm gald that you think it's a beauty too. I've heard a lot of people saying that the piece is g, but the first note in the first whole bar is b flat, and to make the matter worse, there are minor key changes thruout. So does anyone know what key should we take it as?

(Eh, also, can any German poster here tell me how the name Friederich Nietzsche is properly pronouced?)

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 05-01-2005).]

Sonata nr.19 (Op.49nr1) is in G minor (the key signature is Bb and Eb). The 2nd movt is in G major, but sonatas take their key identity from the 1st movt. Yes this delightful piece is well worth the effort -enjoy!

I'm not German but I think the correct pronunciation is Freedrick Neatscher

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I just started to learning to play that piece, don't know why, it's like it never existed for me before - because nobody I knew ever talked about it much! I had a look at the score and I think it's nice so I'm playing it. Am I alone on this? What do you think about it? Do you think it's not worth the effort?
          Actually it was the first beethoven sonata (and as yet the only one) I´ve learned to play and I love it aswell.
          Regards,
          Ruud

Comment

It was the first one I learned to play as well, although I have long since forgotten it. I should dig it back out.

Comment

So it's g then, thanks Peter. Good to know you people like it too. My first piece was the second one in G, although I initially planed to play No.1, until I checked out the score of the finale.

I've so far gathered two major ways to say Nietzsche: neechee and neecha. Peter yours is so far unique, what's your source? I thought there were German posters around, which of your are German?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Sonata nr.19 (Op.49nr1) is in G minor (the key signature is Bb and Eb). The 2nd movt is in G major, but sonatas take their key identity from the 1st movt. Yes this delightful piece is well worth the effort -enjoy!

I'm not German but I think the correct pronunciation is Freedrick Neatscher

I've always said Neatchee,I could be wrong,his name doesn't seem to pop up at the dinner table too much these days,I'm Canadian and my German is very very poor.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I've always pronounced in Neechee for what it's worth.

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Neechee being the standard American way, so far every yank I met online says so. But I'm about 80% certain now, that the German pronounciation is neecha. But since I'm living in England, I really need to know the English way... Oh, Joy, it's worth a lot for me.

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 05-03-2005).]

Comment

Neechee being the standard American way, so far every yank I met online says so. But I'm about 80% certain now, that the German pronounciation is neecha. But since I'm living in England, I really need to know the English way... Oh, Joy, it's worth a lot for me.

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 05-03-2005).]
                      Uni,
                      My friend in Germany says "NEE-chey" with "ch" as in "change" She said my "ee" was too sharp, more like "ey" Make sense?

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Many thanks Gurn!

I always suspected that the proper is inbetween chee and cha, but never would guessed it's chey! Now I'm finally sorted!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X