Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A future for Classical music in Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A future for Classical music in Britain?

For those of you who are in London on 21st September there is a conference to mark the centenary of Elgar's 1905 lectures on 'A future of English Music'. Amid concerns that classical music is being undervalued and effectively withheld from a wide audience the threefold purpose of the conference is to raise awareness of our classical heritage, contest the widely held belief that classical music is inherently restricted in its appeal and address the challenge facing the promotion of classical music in schools and colleges. On this last point, anyone who has watched university challenge will see the need for this!

For more information about tickets and venue email ncemconference@fsmail.net

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Just on the "University Challenge" issue, I think you're being a bit unfair, Peter. I've been following it every week and when a classical music question arises (which is about once every four weeks) quite a few teams - I would say about fifty per cent. - have been very knowledgeable - and not just the music students.
    But in general, they still know more about Eminem than Mozart.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
      Just on the "University Challenge" issue, I think you're being a bit unfair, Peter. I've been following it every week and when a classical music question arises (which is about once every four weeks) quite a few teams - I would say about fifty per cent. - have been very knowledgeable - and not just the music students.
      But in general, they still know more about Eminem than Mozart.

Michael
      Well I don't watch it every time Michael, but what I've seen hasn't been encouraging. I seem to recall the last questions were about conductor/composers and the only response was George Solti (which at least I grant you displays some knowledge) - even poor old Nadia Boulanger was mistaken for a man - mind you she did look rather masculine in that photo!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        For those of you who are in London on 21st September there is a conference to mark the centenary of Elgar's 1905 lectures on 'A future of English Music'. Amid concerns that classical music is being undervalued and effectively withheld from a wide audience the threefold purpose of the conference is to raise awareness of our classical heritage, contest the widely held belief that classical music is inherently restricted in its appeal and address the challenge facing the promotion of classical music in schools and colleges. On this last point, anyone who has watched university challenge will see the need for this!

For more information about tickets and venue email ncemconference@fsmail.net

Thankyou for that information Peter,
        It would be a very worth while event to attend. It has got to be one of the most important tasks of everyone who knows anything about and loves classical music to try to pass that on to others.
        It is such a fantastic heritage of great composers and music that we have in the west, it has always seemed to me unfathomable why some people just don't seem to be interested, or is it that they simply don't know.
        We shall definately highlight Sept. 21st on our calendar.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
        X