Tallis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tallis

ok, its not LvB. but also an unbelievable music: "spem in alium" by Thomas Tallis for 40 part choir. Did somebody hear it in a performance??? I have a recording and the score, it is incredible!!!!!

CLAUS

------------------

Originally posted by Claus:
    ok, its not LvB. but also an unbelievable music: "spem in alium" by Thomas Tallis for 40 part choir. Did somebody hear it in a performance??? I have a recording and the score, it is incredible!!!!!

CLAUS

I agree totally. I would also be very interested tp hear the 40-part motet of the Italian composer Striggio, who at his stay in England was the cause of "a national counterattack"!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Claus:
      [B]ok, its not LvB. but also an unbelievable music: "spem in alium" by Thomas Tallis for 40 part choir. Did somebody hear it in a performance??? I have a recording and the score, it is incredible!!!!!

CLAUS

Just to listen to 'SPEM IN ALIUM' would be enough convince any unbiased that England was fully capable of producing great composers. It takes its extraordinary force and beauty from the great sufferings and struggles of the old faith in England during the 16th century. There is nothing else like it really in all of English music. The nearest comparison is probably Palestrina.

I have two beautiful recordings, one by the Tallis Scholars, directed by Peter Philips.

The other sung by Chapelle du Roi.
      directed by Alistair Dixon / Signum label.

Spem in Alium nunquam habui praeter in te...

I have never placed my hope
      in any other than you, O God of Israel,
      who can show both anger and graciousness,
      and absolve all the sins
      of suffering man.
      Lord God, creator of heaven and earth,
      be mindful of our humiliation.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Strictly speaking, the Tallis Spem in Allium is for 8 5 part choirs. It is one of my great regrets that I have never had an opportunity to join in a performance of this. It must be an astonishing experience to do it "in the round" in the acoustic of one of the great cathedrals.
        The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
        X