Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The evil society

Hi,

Here, in Brazil I feel very bad, because everybody hate me only because I'm not very sociable and cause I ONLY like classical music. Everyday my school coleagues say something don't agradable for me because of my likes and my temper. It happens with you?

Carol,
    Yes, people will look at you different, and it can make you feel like more of an outrsider, but remember, there are millions of people who also love this music and accept you for that. You should do as I do, when you want to cheer up, listen to your countryman Hector Villa-Lobos. Some excellent music there. And also, maybe your friends will be more wanting to listen if you are playing some good Braxilian music instead of German!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Try not to worry that others of your age do not share your musical tastes - believe me it really doesn't matter. My advice would be not to make it an issue and concentrate on finding other things that you do have in common. Away from school you could try going to concerts and music societies and even forums such as this where you can meet people who share your love of classical music. If you play a musical instrument, how about joining a youth orchestra? If you don't play, then why not take up an instrument?

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Carol,
        It is difficult getting on with people who are your friends where you differ on such a fundamental thing. Within classical music tastes and preferences vary, but for someone not to like classical music at all, I find a bit odd.
        It speaks to the most profound depth of our being. I am not sure how deep a friendship with somebody who just doesn't like it. It is a bit like saying you dont' like nature, or the sea, or the stars.
        Classical music is on that level and is a bit like saying you don't like life or the Universe. I envy you playing the flute.
        Continue to enjoy classical music, your friends may change as they get a bit older.
        I am pleased to see that you like Beethoven and Brahms.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-14-2005).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I honestly don't remember too many people having a problem with my interest in classical music. I think the only ones who did are now the guys who screw up my order at Taco Bell

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 04-14-2005).]

Comment

Just remember, Carol, that those who like classical music have 1000 years worth of great music while those who don't are stuck with music of just the past 50 or so years. They are the ones that are missing a lot of variety!

Comment

Excellent advice from everyone here. Not all my friends share my love for classical music either but we have other interests to share so we get along and they've been my friends for several years. I never push my passion for the classics on them. Just enjoy your music and beieve me as you grow older you will love it even more!

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Try not to worry that others of your age do not share your musical tastes - believe me it really doesn't matter. My advice would be not to make it an issue and concentrate on finding other things that you do have in common. Away from school you could try going to concerts and music societies and even forums such as this where you can meet people who share your love of classical music. If you play a musical instrument, how about joining a youth orchestra? If you don't play, then why not take up an instrument?

Here in my music school, in Rio, i'll take part in a young orchestra when i get older. In June, July, i'll have a flute presentation of a duo for 2 flutes by Beethoven with my teacher, Eduardo Monteiro,and i am very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think fun-sharing is the basis for all true friendships. So if you only have classical music to share, then just find someone who can share it with you; if you have something else to share with your current friends, then don't blame them just because they don't like classical.

Blaming or complaining obviously make you appear narrow-minded and disagreable, because people are just so hopelessly presumptious - that's the only thing one should complain by the way. So my advise: be a morally superior individual.

(Where's my br... Where's Bessy?)

Comment

To say again, the only thin one should complain about is the presumptiousness of others. So, girl in Brazil, spare yourself the chance of being seen as impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Oliveira_27:
                      Hi,

Here, in Brazil I feel very bad, because everybody hate me only because I'm not very sociable and cause I ONLY like classical music. Everyday my school coleagues say something don't agradable for me because of my likes and my temper. It happens with you?
                      My advise is: Don't commit their mistakes and avoid other people just because of different taster nor close yourself to other musical styles or tastes.

Curiosity is the cure for the illness known as snobism. You never know if you'll regret or feel guilty for having avoided certain kinds of music for some time, to discover afterwards that are enjoyable and/or interesting.

Deepen in what you like to know about it if you're curious, but don't "close your ears" to listen other musics, if possible.

Comment

Carol, I think that people that like classical music at a young age seem to be looked upon as odd and taken to task by their peers. I have liked the classics since I was very young and most people my age would not dare to make fun of it because, and I hate to admit it, I would be ready to do battle with them and I mean physical battle. So by the time I reached high school word had gotten out about how I felt and for the most part was never challenged about my love of music. I don't recommend this stand for everyone but it sure worked for me....I wonder if Beethoven would have taken the same stance? At any rate Carol you are a better off person for having this love of classical music and it is you who reap the rewards and not the students who make fun of you.

Comment

Working...
                        X