Copying Beethoven - Ed Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:
    Well, too bad, but I can understand why. Thanks for always keeping us updated and glad to hear the shooting is going so well!

It is going very well indeed. I have now seen the first dailies and it all looks wonderful. Ed is simply inspired as Beethoven - I think it may be the best work he has ever done. And Diane is beautiful, complex, moving and her performance is very delicately balanced. Supporting characters, including the Hungarian extras, are spot on. And the sets and costumes couldn't be better. Seeing it for the first time is actually quite humbling, and very gratifying. I think you will all be pleased.

Comment

May god be always with you and the cast my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
        It is going very well indeed. I have now seen the first dailies and it all looks wonderful. Ed is simply inspired as Beethoven - I think it may be the best work he has ever done. And Diane is beautiful, complex, moving and her performance is very delicately balanced. Supporting characters, including the Hungarian extras, are spot on. And the sets and costumes couldn't be better. Seeing it for the first time is actually quite humbling, and very gratifying. I think you will all be pleased.
        I'm glad it's all coming together so well for you. It sounds like the actors were made for their parts. Sounds like they're enjoying their roles which is important when you like what you're doing everyone then does a better job. I know we'll all be very pleased with the end product. Thanks for keeping us updated! Very interesting!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The bad news: the publicity people do not want us to publish ... My apologies.
          Anticipation!Worth it's weight in gold.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            Anticipation!Worth it's weight in gold.
            Ed Harris just called me from Budapest. He wants to talk at length tomorrow about the 3rd movement of the string quartet op. 132 before they shoot the scene in wich he is composing it on Wednesday. You have no idea how gratifying this is. First, as a writer, it is rare that the movie star actually seeks out your avice, ideas, counsel. Second as the writer of this film, it is wonderful to realize that Ed is so completely devoted to the material that he wants to get the scene right - that is, understand it as fully as he can. Thirdly, it is a joy to work with such an artist. His committment to his work is utter, and the depth of his research and preparation is undeniable. Tomorrow should be a very special day - I actually get to discuss the hymn of thanksgiving from the op. 132 with Beethoven himself.

Comment

Tomorrow should be a very special day - I actually get to discuss the hymn of thanksgiving from the op. 132 with Beethoven himself.[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, as I expected - an exciting day. Maybe the best day at work I've ever spent. We talked with Ed about his preparation to do the scene in which he dictates the third movement of Op. 132 to Anna, then sat with a cellist friend of mine to go over the relationship between the score and the dialogue. Ed was focusing on specific passages and their emotional and spiritual content, even down to referring to certain bars, and what Beethoven meant to express by them. It was just a lovely, gratifying experience - the kind of thing I went into film to do. I hope you enjoy this project as much as I am.

Comment

SR, sounds like Ed Harris is a method actor and really gets involved with his roles. Splendid! Quite an exciting day indeed for you. I have a question about Ed Harris, is he a Beethoven and classical music fan from way back as we all are? Or did he just get interested in this subject from the movie? Let us know how that scene goes with the string quartet. Good luck with the project as usual and thanks as always for keeping us up dated.

------------------

Comment

Ed Harris just called me from Budapest. He wants to talk at length tomorrow about the 3rd movement of the string quartet op. 132 before they shoot the scene in wich he is composing it on Wednesday. You have no idea how gratifying this is. First, as a writer, it is rare that the movie star actually seeks out your avice, ideas, counsel. Second as the writer of this film, it is wonderful to realize that Ed is so completely devoted to the material that he wants to get the scene right - that is, understand it as fully as he can. Thirdly, it is a joy to work with such an artist. His committment to his work is utter, and the depth of his research and preparation is undeniable. Tomorrow should be a very special day - I actually get to discuss the hymn of thanksgiving from the op. 132 with Beethoven himself.

I don't get a chance to write in very often but I do check this post everyday. I am very excited to experience this movie in it's progress. I keep telling everyone I know about it. Holland, Mich. will be well informed. They all seem to know Ed Harris very well as an actor. I do wish we could see photo's but very understandable with all the copyrights. Do you think we could get a autographed pic of Ed as Beethoven when the movie is finished? I would treasure it.

Thanks as always for keeping us updated.

Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:

I don't get a chance to write in very often but I do check this post everyday. I am very excited to experience this movie in it's progress. I keep telling everyone I know about it. Holland, Mich. will be well informed. They all seem to know Ed Harris very well as an actor. I do wish we could see photo's but very understandable with all the copyrights. Do you think we could get a autographed pic of Ed as Beethoven when the movie is finished? I would treasure it.

Thanks as always for keeping us updated.

Heidi
                    IU will certainly ask. If yu send me your address I'll see what I can do. I'm at faranj@hotmail.com.

Comment

IU will certainly ask. If yu send me your address I'll see what I can do. I'm at faranj@hotmail.com.
                      Whoa! Sorry about the typos. Here goes again:

I will certainly ask. If you send me your address I'll see what I can do. I'm at faranj@hotmail.com

Comment

So, anything new to report? I'm happy to hear Diane's performance is good. I'm a big fan of hers.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainStigmata:
                          So, anything new to report? I'm happy to hear Diane's performance is good. I'm a big fan of hers.
                          Yes, Diane is doing very well, and Ed is amazing. Diane is so beautiful no matter how you shoot her, and they've given her a little pair of spectacles to wear, which only makes her more attractive. The young fellow who plays Karl is also very good, as are Krensky, the tavern owner, and Beethoven's old pal who goes to the tavern with him. From the outtakes, it seems they are having fun and enjoying working with one another.
                          They are finished now with the scenes inside Beethoven's apartment and begin exteriors next week. Then the premiere of the 9th Symphony, which should take three or four days, and the final material. We should wrap in the middle of May. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I'm glad to hear Diane is well! Who are some of the other actors playing the characters you mentioned?

Comment

They are finished now with the scenes inside Beethoven's apartment and begin exteriors next week. Then the premiere of the 9th Symphony, which should take three or four days, and the final material. We should wrap in the middle of May. I'll keep you posted.
                              Wow! I'm amazed at how quickly it takes to film a movie. From start to finish it sounds like only a few months. I always thought it
                              took a lot longer.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                                Wow! I'm amazed at how quickly it takes to film a movie. From start to finish it sounds like only a few months. I always thought it
                                took a lot longer.

The shoot will take 42 days, which is about average for a picture at this budget level. Most big films take about 60 days, more or less. (Though you may remember Clint Eastwood saying at the Oscars that he shot Million Dollar Baby in 37 days. But that's because he knows exactly what he wants and plans accordingly.) It is the pre- and post-production process that take months. We expect our film to be in post for some six months. I still have hopes that it will be out for Christmas, but I'm not counting on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X