Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O
    Check this out, Mr. S.R.
    More tidbits on orchestral effects from 1820-1870. http://www.music.gla.ac.uk/~tfowler/...Orchestra.html Also there is an article written about early valve systems shown in their chronological order many of which weren't invented until after 1827 (Beethoven's death)
    Check out the following: http://www.angelfire.com/music2/thec...ew_page_2.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bessy:
      I was under the impression that the diaries written by Rosenbaum were fictional.

I wasn't aware of that but I think you'll agree there is enough evidence that Umlauf was the conductor regardless of Rosenbaum. The conversation books also reveal lengthy discussions between Beethoven and friends as to the choice of conductor and venue - Beethoven was very undecided on the matter and even thought of calling the whole thing off.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        I wasn't aware of that but I think you'll agree there is enough evidence that Umlauf was the conductor regardless of Rosenbaum. The conversation books also reveal lengthy discussions between Beethoven and friends as to the choice of conductor and venue - Beethoven was very undecided on the matter and even thought of calling the whole thing off.

That is true, and I could be wrong about its fictional nature, but I am pretty sure of it. You are right on about the conversation books so it seems to have some validity. "Seems" may not be good enough when you are talking about a film seen by millions so I tend to edit my grandiose expertise. I am a student. An old student, but a student nevertheless - In the profound words of Waynes World, "I am not worthy."

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
          We are considering using the Christopher Hogwood, Academy of Ancient Music recording of the 9th for the soundtrack. What do you think?

Thanks, SR
          I love that recording, right in the beggining (after the main theme has appeared) the horns give a solid, big G that remains on my mind for the rest of the movement. Still, I thought you had to use Sony recordings. In this case, Bruno Weil is Sony's, this might be his chance to try his hand at Beethoven's symphonies, maybe using the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightment.
          In any case, why not ask Sony? Maybe we period-performances fans end up with one more item on the buy-list.

------------------
          "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
          "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Also, Mr Weil has some Beethoven already on Sony's catalogue with the Tafelmusik orchestra, it's the Violin concerto and the 5th piano one...

------------------
            "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

We are considering using the Christopher Hogwood, Academy of Ancient Music recording of the 9th for the soundtrack. What do you think?
              I see you have already gotten a negative reponse or two on this, but I think that would be an excellent choice. I think the overall tone of the orchestra is superior to the Hannover Band.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                I love that recording, right in the beggining (after the main theme has appeared) the horns give a solid, big G that remains on my mind for the rest of the movement. Still, I thought you had to use Sony recordings. In this case, Bruno Weil is Sony's, this might be his chance to try his hand at Beethoven's symphonies, maybe using the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightment.
                In any case, why not ask Sony? Maybe we period-performances fans end up with one more item on the buy-list.

We may be going with Universal instead. I have seen their Beethoven catalogue, and it is excellent.

Comment

That is true, and I could be wrong about its fictional nature, but I am pretty sure of it. You are right on about the conversation books so it seems to have some validity. "Seems" may not be good enough when you are talking about a film seen by millions so I tend to edit my grandiose expertise. I am a student. An old student, but a student nevertheless - In the profound words of Waynes World, "I am not worthy."

I sincerely hope it is seen by millions of people!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Peter:

Period performances all have a problem with the first movement of the 9th - only Toscanini achieved Beethoven's tempi in this movement convincingly because he was flexible and willing to think about tempo, and modifications of tempo, within the larger context of what the music actually means. However for this production you obviously have to go with period performance and personaly I'd go with Franz Bruggen or the Hanover Band (Roy Goodman).

Also, I received an email from the production designer posing the very same question I have posed here a number of times: Where did Schlemmer live and what did his digs look like? Does anyone know?

Thanks, SR

Well I haven't come across any info of use to you on this. Beethoven's few notes to Schlemmer reveal no address. I don't think this is of great importance though as long as the building and interior are authentic for the time. Perhaps you could try asking the Beethovenhaus about this?
                    Are you in London? Perhaps we should ask you to be a consultant on the production.

Comment

Are you in London? Perhaps we should ask you to be a consultant on the production.
                      Very flattering indeed! Actually I live around 60 miles from London, but I am sure there are many more people better qualified than I to act as a consultant, but on the other hand!!!

With regard to the performance of the 9th, the orchestra consisted of a mixture of around 80 players (near I think to the Hogwood recording) and there were also about 80 in the chorus which was positioned in front of the orchestra - in front of the stage was a piano from which Conradin Kreutzer directed the soloists. Umlauf stood at a podium with his back to part of the chorus and all the soloists, Beethoven stood next to him providing the tempi (gesticulating wildly by all accounts!). For this prestigious occasion Beethoven had his hair cut and was complimented for his efforts by nephew Karl!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                        I see you have already gotten a negative reponse or two on this, but I think that would be an excellent choice. I think the overall tone of the orchestra is superior to the Hannover Band.
                        I've heard James Ghigi who performs regularly with conductors who specialize in the baroque repertoire such as Ton Koopman, Trevor Pinnock, (Franz Brugen), Gustav Leonhardt, Roger Norrington, John Elliot Gardiner, Harry Christophers and with orchestras such as the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, Orchestra of Age of Enlightment, The Kings' Consort, The Sixteen, London Classical Players, English Concert and the English Baroque Soloists(as well as the aforementioned Hanover Band) You can hear Ghigi's 'Handel' on his website. Quite lovely and is performed on his period instruments. Then again, what do I know?

Mr. S.R. - cover Beethoven with a fig leaf, omit his constant swearing and every elem. and h.s. teacher will buy it. Right there you are selling into the millions. Make him look like Shrek and you may be talking zillions.(Let's hope Ed keeps his clothes on, but sadly - sex sells.)

[This message has been edited by Bessy (edited 03-07-2005).]

Comment

I've heard James Ghigi who performs regularly with conductors who specialize in the baroque repertoire such as Ton Koopman, Trevor Pinnock, (Franz Brugen), Gustav Leonhardt, Roger Norrington, John Elliot Gardiner, Harry Christophers and with orchestras such as the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, Orchestra of Age of Enlightment, The Kings' Consort, The Sixteen, London Classical Players, English Concert and the English Baroque Soloists(as well as the aforementioned Hanover Band) You can hear Ghigi's 'Handel' on his website. Quite lovely and is performed on his period instruments. Then again, what do I know?

Mr. S.R. - cover Beethoven with a fig leaf, omit his constant swearing and every elem. and h.s. teacher will buy it. Right there you are selling into the millions. Make him look like Shrek and you may be talking zillions.(Let's hope Ed keeps his clothes on, but sadly - sex sells.)

[This message has been edited by Bessy (edited 03-07-2005).]
                          Ed will certainly keep hs clothes on, but will Diane? I expect we will get a PG 13 rating.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                            [B] Very flattering indeed! Actually I live around 60 miles from London, but I am sure there are many more people better qualified than I to act as a consultant, but on the other hand!!!

I'd like to put you in touch with our music director. You can email me at faranj@hotmail.com.

Cheers, SR

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by srivele:
                              [b]
                              Very flattering indeed! Actually I live around 60 miles from London, but I am sure there are many more people better qualified than I to act as a consultant, but on the other hand!!!

I'd like to put you in touch with our music director. You can email me at faranj@hotmail.com.

Cheers, SR
                              SR,
                              If you send me an email at the address you will find in my profile, I can send you an excellent essay on horns. Yes, valve horns did exist at that time. No, they weren't used in Vienna, even to the time of Richard Strauss (late 19th early 20th century)!!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ed will certainly keep hs clothes on, but will Diane? I expect we will get a PG 13 rating.
                                Glad to see that the double standard is alive and kicking. And if I just had a nice horn essay, life would seem so good.

Cheers to you all!

[This message has been edited by Bessy (edited 03-08-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                                X