No announcement yet.

Copying Beethoven - Ed Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if my brother-in-law Thomas Gardiner is among the English financial contacts you have - he helped arrange ( and got a credit for) financing for The Luhzin Defence amongst other more arty films and might possibly have some contacts in addition to those you're already exploring...

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!
    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:

Don't know if my brother-in-law Thomas Gardiner is among the English financial contacts you have - he helped arrange ( and got a credit for) financing for The Luhzin Defence amongst other more arty films and might possibly have some contacts in addition to those you're already exploring...

I don't believe we are talking to your brother-in-law but if he is interested, by all means do have him contact me. Thanks, SR

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by srivele:
        [B] Here is where we stand as of today: British funds (God bless 'em), European presales and what they call lease-backs (that is, money that will be loaned to the production from future sales) plus Bank of Ireland loans amount to 75 percent of our budget. We are now trying to raise the remaining 25 percent from private investors before the December deadine for the current fundraising effort arrives. Any thoughts?

Comment

You could, you know, take hostages

Seriously, though, what about people who frequent the opera or symphony orchestra? Perhaps you could check out some of those places and see if they could help you get the word out to their more wealthy patrons?

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 10-17-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:

Seriously, though, what about people who frequent the opera or sysmphony orchestra? Perhaps you could check out some of those places and see if they could help you get the word out to their more wealthy patrons?
            Thanks for the suggestion. We are currently out to several potential investors, including one or two wealthy patrons of the arts. I'll keep you informed.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
              Originally posted by Chris:

Seriously, though, what about people who frequent the opera or sysmphony orchestra? Perhaps you could check out some of those places and see if they could help you get the word out to their more wealthy patrons?
              Thanks for the suggestion. We are currently out to several potential investors, including one or two wealthy patrons of the arts. I'll keep you informed.

Well good luck and if I win the lottery you can rely on a donation from me!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Some of you may have seen an article about Copying Beethoven in Variety yesterday (the 26th). Myriad Pictures has become involved in the marketing of the film. And we now have an English production company involved, which enables us to receive the British subsidy money. So there has been progress. I'll keep you posted. SR

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Some of you may have seen an article about Copying Beethoven in Variety yesterday (the 26th). Myriad Pictures has become involved in the marketing of the film. And we now have an English production company involved, which enables us to receive the British subsidy money. So there has been progress. I'll keep you posted. SR

Excellent news!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oooo I have to see that article!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
                      Oooo I have to see that article!
                      Well, not I'm not sure now if it was in the 25th or 26th Variety. But we have more news: We have sold another foreign territory, which brings us up to 80% of our budget. The American Film Market is going on in LA right now and Myriad has a Copying Beethoven display. We're hoping to raise the remainder at AFM. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Well, not I'm not sure now if it was in the 25th or 26th Variety. But we have more news: We have sold another foreign territory, which brings us up to 80% of our budget. The American Film Market is going on in LA right now and Myriad has a Copying Beethoven display. We're hoping to raise the remainder at AFM. I'll keep you posted.

That is excellent news! Good luck with that and thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress!

------------------
                        'Truth and beauty joined'
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

This is my first posting here----I may be a little late with this, but after reading the entire discussion about the upcoming film-----I am wondering if Beethoven's life-long profound love of Nature will be figuring into the plot. I have seen lots of talk about Beethoven's social life, friends and acquaintances----what taverns he frequented, names of people in his circle in the later years, etc. etc.----but no mention of the fact that he found most of his musical/spiritual inspiration during his long, solitary ramblings in wild and rugged countryside surrounding the villages (such as his beloved Baden) where he resided during the warmer months. In his very last autumn he spent much time wandering the fields of his brother's country estate, lost in creative thought even as his final illness began to overtake him.

I have also read some discussion here about his favorite writers---poets in particular. Well, I think if there was one book that could be called his favorite---it would be Christoph Christian Sturm's Reflections for Every Day in the Year on the Works of God, in the Kingdom of Nature and Providence. The many passages he highlighted in his own copy have recently been accurately translated into English in 2 issues of the American Beethoven Society's The Beethoven Journal---- Summer and Winter 2003. These passages-----and really, the entire book-----offer invaluable insight into his religious beliefs, his love of Nature----and how the two are interconnected and inseparable.

I do have high hopes for this film----sounds like somebody might finally do him justice! Ed Harris certainly has his work cut out for him!!!

------------------
                          "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
                          "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit Thrush:
                            This is my first posting here----I may be a little late with this, but after reading the entire discussion about the upcoming film-----I am wondering if Beethoven's life-long profound love of Nature will be figuring into the plot. I have seen lots of talk about Beethoven's social life, friends and acquaintances----what taverns he frequented, names of people in his circle in the later years, etc. etc.----but no mention of the fact that he found most of his musical/spiritual inspiration during his long, solitary ramblings in wild and rugged countryside surrounding the villages (such as his beloved Baden) where he resided during the warmer months. In his very last autumn he spent much time wandering the fields of his brother's country estate, lost in creative thought even as his final illness began to overtake him.

I have also read some discussion here about his favorite writers---poets in particular. Well, I think if there was one book that could be called his favorite---it would be Christoph Christian Sturm's Reflections for Every Day in the Year on the Works of God, in the Kingdom of Nature and Providence. The many passages he highlighted in his own copy have recently been accurately translated into English in 2 issues of the American Beethoven Society's The Beethoven Journal---- Summer and Winter 2003. These passages-----and really, the entire book-----offer invaluable insight into his religious beliefs, his love of Nature----and how the two are interconnected and inseparable.

I do have high hopes for this film----sounds like somebody might finally do him justice! Ed Harris certainly has his work cut out for him!!!

Comment

Yes, we do deal with Beethoven's love of nature, and the role it played in inspiring his work. He urges our fictional heroine, Anna, to get closer to nature and, in fact, at the end of the film, she has moved to Kahlenberg, one of his favorite spots.

A bit of a setback today: the British Government subsidy fund has decided that, since we, the writers, are not European, our project does not, after all, qualify for funding. However, the studio in Cornwall, which wants us to shoot the interiors there, has gamely offered to make up the loss. Bless the good people of Cornwall, one of my favorite corners of Britain! I will keep you posted.

Comment

Yes, we do deal with Beethoven's love of nature, and the role it played in inspiring his work. He urges our fictional heroine, Anna, to get closer to nature and, in fact, at the end of the film, she has moved to Kahlenberg, one of his favorite spots.

A bit of a setback today: the British Government subsidy fund has decided that, since we, the writers, are not European, our project does not, after all, qualify for funding. However, the studio in Cornwall, which wants us to shoot the interiors there, has gamely offered to make up the loss. Bless the good people of Cornwall, one of my favorite corners of Britain! I will keep you posted.
                                Update: We learned today that on appeal the British Government has reversed itself and decided that we are eligible after all. Thus, we may be able to put together a British-German co-production with the Reingold Fund in Cologne, which has expressed interest. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X