No announcement yet.

Copying Beethoven - Ed Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Suchet would be an asset to any production and he should be well steeped in Beethovenian lore as his brother, John, must be the most enthusiastic Beethoven admirer on the planet. (After me, of course).

Michael

Comment

Who was that who played with Russel Crowe in Master and Commander and in Beautiful mind?
      Him with some weight and some aging (makeup mode on) could do Schuppanzig...

------------------
      "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        David Suchet would be an asset to any production and he should be well steeped in Beethovenian lore as his brother, John, must be the most enthusiastic Beethoven admirer on the planet. (After me, of course).

Michael

Yes, I love his work and did recommend him for a part in the film. I saw him as Salieri on the stage in LA. He's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
          Who was that who played with Russel Crowe in Master and Commander and in Beautiful mind?
          Him with some weight and some aging (makeup mode on) could do Schuppanzig...

Paul Bettany? He's very good but too young.

Comment

Srivele!
            Can you tell us how you are bringing ideas in the world of the late quartets forth in your film?

I think Beethoven in his ethical understanding always thought that music must bring something positive to the world. This he did even in times of great personal distress. I hope that I am not wrong in saying that the late quartets do belong to this abovementioned world-view. Now he is not saying it anymore - as before - heroically, but in terms of immediacy. That we are, or perhaps should be capable of connecting - when only in unforeseen ways.

He himself was only of course human and not perfect, but didn't he just express this idea almost in corpore.

What thoughts do you have?
            Best wishes from Johan

Muss es sein? Es muss sein!

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
              Srivele!
              Can you tell us how you are bringing ideas in the world of the late quartets forth in your film?

I think Beethoven in his ethical understanding always thought that music must bring something positive to the world. This he did even in times of great personal distress. I hope that I am not wrong in saying that the late quartets do belong to this abovementioned world-view. Now he is not saying it anymore - as before - heroically, but in terms of immediacy. That we are, or perhaps should be capable of connecting - when only in unforeseen ways.

He himself was only of course human and not perfect, but didn't he just express this idea almost in corpore.

What thoughts do you have?
              Best wishes from Johan

Muss es sein? Es muss sein!

Well, this is precisely what our film is about. That's why we start with the 9th - Friends, not these sounds, but new sounds to celebrate our joy... Beethoven says in our film that he is embarking on a new, and the final, phase of his creative life, creating a new language to express his experience of God. I have long beleved that the late quartets were an attempt by Beethoven to synthesize a language that was pure enough to represent his mystical vision - a language that was similar to that which he was experiencing. For me the language of the late quartets is the most sublime artistic expression ever achieved; they are as close to an expression of mystical experience as I have ever found. (This is why it has taken us two years to raise the money to make the film!)

Comment

[QUOTE]
                Casting in London and location scouting in Budapest are going well. I'll keep you all posted.

Everyone appreciates the input from the members, so let me know any further thoughts you have. Thanks, SR

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by srivele:
                  Casting in London and location scouting in Budapest are going well. I'll keep you all posted.

Everyone appreciates the input from the members, so let me know any further thoughts you have. Thanks, SR
                  Yesterday the Hungarian production company located the Beethoven piano in the Erody house in Budapest, and the art designer is going over today to take a look at it. Thanks to the member who told me that it was there - even the Hungarian production people did not realize it! Evidently they've found the theater which will double for the Karnertor, though I don't yet know the name, and a town about forty minutes outside Budapest which has the perfect look for the Vienna 1826 exteriors. I'll keep you informed as news from the location scout and next week's casting sessions comes in. SR

Comment

[QUOTE]Well, it seems I can post again. For a long time I was getting an error message.

Location scouting is done - the town where most of the exteriors will be shot is called Sopron. Does anybody know it? It's about two hours outside Budapest. We're assembling a good crew, and casting should be completed next week. I'll post the cast as soon as the decisions are final. The production designer and costume designer are first-rate and are sticklers for historical accuracy. The director of photography is excited about shooting a period piece that will be lighted mostly by candles. We have convinced the producers to double the music budget, and it looks like Sony Classical will license us the music in their catalogue, which will help enormously with the budget. I wish you all could read the budget; it is a very complicated process making a period film in a foreign country with independent financing. So many things that even we, the writers, never thought of. For example, we mention that when Beethoven walks in the woods, there are swans on the lake. So we have had to find trained swans and hire a Hungarian 'swan wrangler' for that scene. Also, for the scene where Karl attempts suicide, we need two stunt doubles and a diver, since he falls into the lake (some dramatic license here, I know, but we saved money by using the same location as the swans!) There was an article about the film in Variety this week - on Tuesday or Wednesday, I think. Unfortunately it parroted the bogus synopsis that has found its way into the press. But otherwise, all goes well so far.

Comment

A quick question for you:

Was Artaria the original publisher of the Ninth Symphony?

Thanks as always. SR

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
                        A quick question for you:

Was Artaria the original publisher of the Ninth Symphony?

Thanks as always. SR
                        Beethoven's 9th symphony was published by
                        Bernhard Schott's & Sons in Mainz, 1826

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

When do you think we will know the rest of the cast?

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                            Beethoven's 9th symphony was published by
                            Bernhard Schott's & Sons in Mainz, 1826

Thank you. Our music supervisor made reference to a French woman composer, a late contemporary of Beethoven, who was very influenced by him. Does anyone know who she might have been?

P.S.: Today we put into the script the old green coat that some of you mentioned - the one Beethoven was forced to wear because his tailor didn't have his new black coat ready in time for the premiere of the Ninth. Thanks as ever for this detail.

SR

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainStigmata:
                              When do you think we will know the rest of the cast?

I expect to have a cast list by the end of the week. I'll let you know as soon as it is in.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
                                Thank you. Our music supervisor made reference to a French woman composer, a late contemporary of Beethoven, who was very influenced by him. Does anyone know who she might have been?

SR

Possibly Marie BIGOT de MOROGUES

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X