Books about Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books about Beethoven

I read last week "Beethoven's hair", and i really loved this amazing book. I want to read more biographic books about him (Beethoven), J. Brahms and P. I. Thaikovsky, but i don't know what books can i read. Have you any suggestions?

Thayer's Life of Beethoven, Elliot Forbes (Editor). Princeton University Press. 1991. ISBN 0691027196 (paperback), 0691027021 (paperback)
    The huge classic treatment of Beethoven's life and work, originally written by Alexander Wheelock Thayer. The convoluted story of how this work came to be completed is related in the preface.

Beethoven: His Life, Work and World, H.C. Robbins Landon, H. C. Robbins Landom. Thames & Hudson. 1993. ISBN 0500015406 (hardcover)

The Beethoven Compendium: A Guide to Beethoven's Life and Music, Barry Cooper (Editor), et al. Thames & Hudson. 1996. ISBN 0500278717 (paperback)

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I enjoyed a Dover publication titled Beethoven and His Contemporaries.
      And ,Beethoven,The Composer as Hero by Philippe A Autexier,also, I know Peter wouldn't agree, but I thought Maynard Solomon's book on Beethoven was great entertainment.
      Another great book was Allesandra Commini's
      The Changing Image of Beethoven.
      I just watched Beethoven hair on TV a few weeks ago and found it facinating.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Thayer's Life of Beethoven, Elliot Forbes (Editor). Princeton University Press. 1991. ISBN 0691027196 (paperback), 0691027021 (paperback)
        The huge classic treatment of Beethoven's life and work, originally written by Alexander Wheelock Thayer. The convoluted story of how this work came to be completed is related in the preface.

Beethoven: His Life, Work and World, H.C. Robbins Landon, H. C. Robbins Landom. Thames & Hudson. 1993. ISBN 0500015406 (hardcover)

The Beethoven Compendium: A Guide to Beethoven's Life and Music, Barry Cooper (Editor), et al. Thames & Hudson. 1996. ISBN 0500278717 (paperback)

Thank you by the suggestions, I've started to search this books.

Now i'm reading "Werther", by Goethe.

Comment

*Antiquarian collectible books*

BEETHOVEN BOOK on eBay for $5.00
          Author, Robert Bory. (1960)

This book has been translated from French, with rare pictures relating to Beethoven.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6954501449
          ------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-09-2005).]
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

You can also read a very reliable book, the Memories of Gerhard von Breuning:
            www.eaglesweb.com/PDF/schwarzspanierhaus.PDF

Comment

Working...
            X