Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naxos looses on NY's court.

<text removed from Gramophone's website>
    In a legal decision that could have major repercussions for the recording industry worldwide, the New York State Court of Appeals has said that Naxos of America infringed copyright by issuing remastered 1930s recordings in the US.

Capitol Records filed a suit in 2002 on behalf of its subsidiary EMI Classics, claiming that Naxos had illegally distributed restorations of 1930s recordings by The Gramophone Company (now EMI Classics) in the US. These included Yehudi Menuhin’s performance of the Elgar Violin Concerto and Edwin Fischer’s performance of Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier. In 2003 a New York court had found in favour of Naxos.

In the UK, where copyright on recordings lasts for 50 years, these recordings have already come into the public domain. However, the appeals court maintained that they are still covered by copyright in the US, where copyright generally holds for 75 years. It said that the disputed recordings are covered under New York state law (recordings made after 1972 are protected by US federal law).

While the case will undoubtedly have immediate impact within the classical music business, it is already the subject of concerned discussion in other genres, not least pop music, where such treasures as Elvis Presley’s early recordings are fast approaching their out-of-copyright dates in Europe.

Richard Lyttelton, president of EMI Classics, said: ‘This decision also brings into sharp focus the inadequacy of the term of copyright protection in sound-recordings in Europe. With modern technology, national copyright boundaries become harder to defend, so there is now more than ever a compelling argument for harmonisation of worldwide copyright terms.’

In a statement, Naxos said: ‘If allowed to stand, this decision will have a deeply negative and harmful effect on all the reissue labels which for many years have made valuable historical recordings available to the general public that are not or are no longer available from the original copyright owners.’ Naxos said it is considering appealing to the US Supreme Court.

Anastasia Tsioulcas, online US correspondent
    That is just sad from EMI. Sad, sad, sad. Ok, decade of 30 plus 75 years of copyright = 2005-2015 for expiration dates and they file a law suit in 2002? Isn't that just to make some out of them while the time permits?
    I have a 1936 recording of Tristan und Isolde with Kirsten Flagstad and Lauritz Melchior under Fritz Reiner live at the MET (or is it Covent Garden?) and I love every minute of it and I thank Naxos a lot for re-issuing it, if EMI had the idea, I'd be thanking EMI, but they didn't, they stored it somewhere in obscurity and, now Naxos is doing us (and them) a favor, they try to make some money out of it while it is still time.
    That is plain pathetic.

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Speaking fo Copyright and that stuff...I have a Beethoven CD I bought a long time ago...for the curious, it has all movements on Piano Concerto 3 and 4..except they chop the movements up to pieces deleting half the of the original time. This is not naxos, it's a different record label..

A year ago while I was adding him in window's media player the same cd. I suddenly look at the picture (but wasn't the same in the CD jew box picture) on top of the far right. And guess who the record label stole it from? Yes you guess it emi. Ever since I never bought anything from the mall again.

[This message has been edited by ~Immortal Beloved~ (edited 04-13-2005).]

Comment

Oi Rutradelusasa!!! Descobri recentemente um site em português similar a este tb c/ fórum. lá meu apelido é Carolowska. Caso queira cadastrar-se, o endereço é:

www.allegrobr.com

Thau!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I see you point. It is unfortune that a company would sit on classic recordings and not reissue them and not let any else do so.

However, they are not granting permission for Naxos to perform a charitable act by reissuing the music. Naxos is hoping to rake in profits for a recording in which they do not have to pay performers, rent a hall, pay engineers, pay royalties, etc.

All they need to do is clean up a few scratches and put it on a CD, which is probably extremely easy with today's technology.

Comment

Excuse me if I get too legal in my "reentree" since it's more than a couple of months since my last post, but anyway.

Here in spain we have a proverb that one could translate as "done a law, done the cheat".

The court decision is based upon the N.Y. State Common Law and says that the common law protection is provided to any sound recordings not protected by the federal copyright act IF THE ALLEGED ACT OF INFRINGEMENT OCCURRED IN N.Y.

The question therefore is: Which is the act of infringement?? Remastering in N.Y.??, package in N.Y.??, putting a record into the N.Y. state stores?? In my brief of the decision it is not solved.

I think it is a problem hard to solve. The company who own the record simply does not re-issue all products since it is very expensive (so they say) and from their large catalogue a few records make benefits (so they say). But once another record company re-issues historical recordings they argue it's "their" records and the reissuer is competing against them with their own recording.

Absolutely true, urtextmeister, they save hall, performers, royalties (sometimes), they have to pay engineers, track and find copies of the recording to be re-issued... And who can do it better, easier (and cheaper)?? the record company who owns the recording that can save in documentalists, etc.. and has their studios, tools, etc.

Comment

I have heard how complicated such copyright issues can become. I am beginning to see why. To the layman, it seems simple--you either own a copyright or you don't. But there obviously much more that goes into it.

Atserriotserri,
            You seem quite familiar with this case. Have you had experience with such cases?

Are there similar issues with the music publishers who grab an edition as soon as it is out of copyright and make their own version of it (really just an exact replica of another publisher's)?

Dover and Kalmus come to mind. Some of us see them as the parasites of the music publishing world (though it is nice to pay half the price for a book of music).

Comment

Urtext, the issue with Dover and Kalmus is different, since they 'grab' the music only, other than that it is illegal. Also, one may find them leaches (is the word right? those things that suck blood?) waiting for an opportunity, but they also do us a service and I'm happy to pay them for that. It's a commercial call, for instance, Bärenheiter charges 560 EUROS for the Alfonso und Estrella score from Schubert. Had Dover had the idea to issue that as well, it would be about 20 dollars. The decision to charge 560 EUROS is all up to Bärenheiter nowadays, they don't even have to pay royalties anymore, so the question springs up: why this much? The answer: their call.

I'm not defending that Naxos should break the law. The matter is: now that it is bringing revenue to Naxos, EMI gets in the battle. Also, I don't care if Naxos is making sh** loads of money out of it, EMI had the chance and decided not to, it was their call, in fact, they dashed those recordings so far into Neverland that it was getting clear they didn't wish any more business out of it.
              If you come to think of it, had Naxos waited 10 more years, we wouldn't have been having this conversation.
              That's the issue here, timing.

Carol, eu conheço esse fórum, mas acho ele meio ruim. Eu acho esse fórum aqui o melhor da internet em termos de música clássica em geral. O da Gramophone (www.gramophone.co.uk) também é bom. Não achei nada de interessante ainda na internet brasileira. Nem no Orkut, lá as pessoas não passam do trivial e superficial, além de abusarem do clichê e terem suas informações tiradas do KaZaa. Se quiser me achar mais freqüentemente, me adicione no MSN: freakrutrei (arroba) hotmail (ponto) com.
              Beijos.

------------------
              "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
              "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

In few words (sadly I don't have many time, I'm at work... shhhht):

I'm a spanish lawyer in international trade affairs, so I've to be informed, but not very familiar with this cases. I have some excerpts of the decision and it's quite strange, because notwithstanding that recognizes that Naxos did not infringe federeal laws, gives Emi protection under N.Y. common law.
                Even more, says that the N.Y. "shield" will remain in place until... 2067!!!, when federal law derogates Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act. Even more that neither malicious intent nor bad faith in necessary.

Rutradelusasa: I think that from a bussiness perspective, Emi does not care if Naxos makes money or not, for EMI, the mere fact that Naxos has those records on the shelves is a risk for their expected benefits.

Another question is: Who would purchase a NAxos record if, hypothetically, there was the identical EMI record res-issued, restored, etc...??
                Why some companies re-issue the same recordings over and over again in different formats and, which is worse, under different labels of the same ownership (ex: Universal: Decca, DG, Mercury, Philips...) inducing to error, perhaps to naive or unexperienced customers, instead of looking their own shelvers, where there are jewels unheard for decades????

Comment

Incidentally, I own the Menuhin Bach concertos and Fischer well-tempered clavier from Naxos, ehehehe

Comment

Working...
                  X