Authentic page mp3s - piano concerto nr5 op73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    Did you hear my fantastic mp3 of the 4th Concerto? That was with a Graf model too (original in this case).

I did not since I am a sometime visitor here now instead of a regular.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      I did not since I am a sometime visitor here now instead of a regular.

Too bad for you. I recommend you visit more regularly if you can.

I'm uploading op74 ("Harp' quartet) tomorrow.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Too bad for you. I recommend you visit more regularly if you can.

I'm uploading op74 ("Harp' quartet) tomorrow.

I explained some time ago that before I retired about a year ago, I sat in front of my computer at my job all day while not having enough to do. Therefore I corresponded a lot on the internet. Now I am busy most of the time with my own sculpture and painting, and spend much less time on the computer. However, I still listen to music, including a lot by composers you do not particularly approve of. Most recently Richard Strauss, Mahler, Berlioz and Bruch.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 04-15-2005).]
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I explained some time ago that before I retired about a year ago, I sat in front of my computer at my job all day while not having enough to do. Therefore I corresponded a lot on the internet. Now I am busy most of the time with my own sculpture and painting, and spend much less time on the computer. However, I still listen to music, including a lot by composers you do not particularly approve of. Most recently Richard Strauss, Mahler, Berlioz and Bruch.

And no Bruckner?

Comment

Fair enough, but I find it interesting that you find the piano inadequate whereas Joy thinks the very same instrument has plenty of power.

------------------

Comment

Fair enough, but I find it interesting that you find the piano inadequate whereas Joy thinks the very same instrument has plenty of power.

Finally I´m back from a quite long and disturbing computer breakdown. I loved the adagio yet the fortepiano IMHO lacked a bit of fire in the last movement although the orchestra (loved the timpani especially) was splendid, I heared the emil gilels rendition of the 5th concerto not long ago, perhaps his fiery approach makes me a bit (if not wholely) subjective.

Regards,
              Ruud

Comment

And I do think this fp has quite a bit of power particularly in this recording to my ears anyway but it does seem that Chaszz and now Ruud are in disagreement with this. Strange how some things sound so different to different people. I thought this was one of the best orchestral and fp works we have presented on our forum.

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                  Finally I´m back from a quite long and disturbing computer breakdown. I loved the adagio yet the fortepiano IMHO lacked a bit of fire in the last movement although the orchestra (loved the timpani especially) was splendid, I heared the emil gilels rendition of the 5th concerto not long ago, perhaps his fiery approach makes me a bit (if not wholely) subjective.

Regards,
                  Ruud
                  The orchestral textures in the Rondo benefit from the additional transparency offered by period instruments. I've commented myself in this chain to the effect that the Rondo tempo could have been directed in a more dynamic manner, but this is more an issue with Hogwood than any kind of piano.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    And I do think this fp has quite a bit of power particularly in this recording to my ears anyway but it does seem that Chaszz and now Ruud are in disagreement with this. Strange how some things sound so different to different people. I thought this was one of the best orchestral and fp works we have presented on our forum.

Perhaps we have better sound systems Joy!?

------------------

Comment

Perhaps we have better sound systems Joy!?

Perhaps.

------------------

Comment

I don't find any lack of power per se in the instrument, but as I said specifically the problem for me is in the lack of the long sustainment of the notes. If I am not mistaken this is one of the chief differences between the fp and pf and here it is very telling, for me at any rate.

Comment

I don't find any lack of power per se in the instrument, but as I said specifically the problem for me is in the lack of the long sustainment of the notes. If I am not mistaken this is one of the chief differences between the fp and pf and here it is very telling, for me at any rate.

As I've said there are not notes in Beethoven that require the lever of sustain beyond what a Graf can produce, but as we are going round in circles I'd rather discuss op74 in the appropriate place...

------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X