Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - piano concerto nr5 op73

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

Well I managed to find room for both movements, on this occasion Beethoven's gain was Handel's loss (but there's still a nice little Harp Concerto to be found there now). As I said before I think the adagio is a little slow in the mp3 but it is still nicely performed and the strings do well. The Rondo too could do with a little more zip here and there but again not a bad performance.

I also have a CD of No5 with Tan, Norrington and the London Classical players but the fortepiano sound is not captured so well and indeed the overall sound balance is not so good.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-04-2005).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I presume I summed things up so nicely there was no need for further comment!?

------------------

Comment

Couldn't post for a while and didn't have the time to listen. Maybe in the next few days. One of my favourite concertos however, so I'll try to find some time.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Couldn't post for a while and didn't have the time to listen. Maybe in the next few days. One of my favourite concertos however, so I'll try to find some time.

I suppose I am being a little impatient!

------------------

Comment

Rod,
            I agree about the tempi dragging just a bit. I like Levin/Gardiner in that aspect, but the sound does indeed make this a very nice recording. Thanks.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thankyou Rod, I'm afriad I did not find this recording as 'vibrant' as I normally like it.
              The 5th for me is like going on a blessed trip with Ludwig. I love it everytime !

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-10-2005).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Thankyou Rod, I'm afriad I did't find this recording as 'vibrant' as I normally like it.
                The 5th for me is like going on a blessed trip with Ludwig. I love it everytime !

An mp3 at such a low resolution as these has most of its vibrancy removed compared to hearing the same music on CD on a good hifi.

------------------

Comment

I am sorry to say that here there is no contest for me -- I prefer the modern piano in every aspect of the adagio (I am writing this after listening to the adagio, without having heard the next movement yet). The lack of the long sustainment of the notes which I'm used to from the modern piano is disturbing to me here, and I can't enjoy the movement as I'm accustomed to. I like the orchestra quite a lot. They play with fine feeling. The pianist does also, it's just that the instrument is inadequate to the piece. And I'd go further and say that pieces such as this movement by Beethoven created the concept of the modern piano in craftsmens' and composers' minds.

Now I'm listening to the final movement, and with its lively rhythm it's of course more suited to the piano as it actually existed in Beethoven's time. Even here I prefer the modern piano.

Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 04-10-2005).]
                  See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                    I am sorry to say that here there is no contest for me -- I prefer the modern piano in every aspect of the adagio (I am writing this after listening to the adagio, without having heard the next movement yet). The lack of the long sustainment of the notes which I'm used to from the modern piano is disturbing to me here, and I can't enjoy the movement as I'm accustomed to. I like the orchestra quite a lot. They play with fine feeling. The pianist does also, it's just that the instrument is inadequate to the piece. And I'd go further and say that pieces such as this movement by Beethoven created the concept of the modern piano in craftsmens' and composers' minds.

Now I'm listening to the final movement, and with its lively rhythm it's of course more suited to the piano as it actually existed in Beethoven's time. Even here I prefer the modern piano.

Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 04-10-2005).]
                    Well Chaszz you've never been an fp fan as far as I recall, in my opinion there is no slow movement in Beethoven that requires the level of sustain the modern instrument offers. The fortepiano sounds good enough to me on the CD and this is a relatively late fp model for this concerto. The adagio is performed too slowly in any case in the mp3 as has already been pointed out, this is not a Largo movement as I presume you'd wish it to be?

------------------

Comment

I will add the piano in this recording is a 1820's Graf copy, and I've yet to hear a copy of a Graf that sounds as colourful as an original. When we get to the later sonatas you will here original Grafs, including Beethoven's own. It is generally accepted by fortepianists and writers on this subject that these late Grafs come closest to Beethoven's ideal (combining the heavier construction and 6.5 octave compass together with the light Viennese action), although Beethoven himself also praised the Streicher brand often throughout his career. Alas it seems there are no Streichers left in playable condition as i have yet to find a recording of one (but Melvyn Tan owns and plays an 1814 copy).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-12-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                        ...Well Chaszz you've never been an fp fan as I recall...
                        This is true for much of Beethoven, but I do enjoy the fp for some of Beethoven (I recall I did praise it awhile back for one of these mp3s) and a good deal of Haydn and Mozart, when I hear it... Also I don't think a different tempo in this movement would change my opinion.
                        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

This is true for much of Beethoven, but I do enjoy the fp for some of Beethoven (I recall I did praise it awhile back for one of these mp3s) and a good deal of Haydn and Mozart, when I hear it... Also I don't think a different tempo in this movement would change my opinion.
                          Strangely enough I dont find the transformation to fp so impressive with Mozart or Haydn from what i have heard. When Beethoven is pushed on the fortepiano there is nothing more exciting in the keyboard world.

------------------

Comment

I finally found the time to listen to this great concerto and I thought the fp did a wonderful job and so did the orchestra. I liked the tempo and the dynamics of it. It sounded like it had a lot of power. Enjoyed it!

------------------

Comment

Did you hear my fantastic mp3 of the 4th Concerto? That was with a Graf model too (original in this case).

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X