Brahms commemeration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brahms commemeration

Just missed the anniversary of Brahms death on April 3rd, 1897. (we were off line).

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

It's an anniversary that often gets overlooked I daresay. Still Brahms can take consolation in being buried very close to his idol Beethoven in the Zentralfriedhof and at least he didn't have to be dug up twice to get there!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It's an anniversary that often gets overlooked I daresay. Still Brahms can take consolation in being buried very close to his idol Beethoven in the Zentralfriedhof and at least he didn't have to be dug up twice to get there!

I think it is such a comforting thought to think of all these great musical Titans are buried close to one another, and certainly we would all agree their spirits are imperishable and immortal. Together forever.
      I remember reading a poem once, the title of which eludes me, but the poet described the great composers in heaven and a young Mozart being held on the right hand by Bach and on the Left by Handel with Beethoven walking determindly ahead of the trio and motioning them to follow him.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
        I think it is such a comforting thought to think of all these great musical Titans are buried close to one another, and certainly we would all agree their spirits are imperishable and immortal. Together forever.
        I remember reading a poem once, the title of which eludes me, but the poet described the great composers in heaven and a young Mozart being held on the right hand by Bach and on the Left by Handel with Beethoven walking determindly ahead of the trio and motioning them to follow him.

There is a wonderful silhouette by Otto Böhler showing many great composers welcoming Brahms to heaven. Bach is playing the organ surrounded by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          There is a wonderful silhouette by Otto Böhler showing many great composers welcoming Brahms to heaven. Bach is playing the organ surrounded by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

Peter, is there a website that you could direct me to where I could see a copy of the silhouette that you mention ?
          Thanks.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
            Peter, is there a website that you could direct me to where I could see a copy of the silhouette that you mention ?
            Thanks.

I don't think so, but here is a temporary link I've created for you. www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/brahms.jpg

------------------
            'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 04-07-2005).]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks Peter, that is very charming
              I like it very much !

------------------

Comment

Working...