Need help with some music theory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with some music theory!

I am new to music theory! I need to know what the form, tonality, texture, style, etc. of Beethoven's Symphony V, Opus 67, the first movement. I'm not even sure what some of these words mean. If not this specific info. maybe a website where I could get it. Thanks!

Originally posted by Want2Learn:
    I am new to music theory! I need to know what the form, tonality, texture, style, etc. of Beethoven's Symphony V, Opus 67, the first movement. I'm not even sure what some of these words mean. If not this specific info. maybe a website where I could get it. Thanks!
    Here's a good place to start with the theory end of things: http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryindex.htm

Comment

Well without delving into my score that first movement is in sonata form -

Exposition: 1st subject C minor
      2nd subject Eb major

Development: great use of diminshed 7ths, passing through different keys.

Recapitulation: 1st subject C minor
      2nd subject C major

Coda: C minor

The style is classical and the texture is orchestral. You might also mention that the opening bars are the germ of the whole movement.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Well without delving into my score that first movement is in sonata form -

Exposition: 1st subject C minor
        2nd subject Eb major

Development: great use of diminshed 7ths, passing through different keys.

Recapitulation: 1st subject C minor
        2nd subject C major

Coda: C minor

The style is classical and the texture is orchestral. You might also mention that the opening bars are the germ of the whole movement.

The coda is quite expanded from the earlier symphonic models, as well, almost sounding like a second recapitulation.

Comment

Working...
        X