Playing Beethoven/Mozart/Bach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Really! I regard someone who puts himself in the service of others as selfless and highly admirable, a pity that in this selfish age you decry such values. This however with regard to music is a separate issue. I know having been taught by one of the finest teachers (herself a pupil of Adelina de Lara, Harold Craxton and Margueritte Long) that seeking to understand the music is paramount. Perhaps you are unaware of the HIP movement which influences not only those who use period instruments but those who use modern as well? Perhaps you are unaware of urtext editions of composers works which through diligent scholarship seek to present as near as possible the composers intentions? Yes there is a certain freedom in interpretation, but it has to come from knowledge not from laziness - the do as I like approach is fine for the amateur playing to aunty Mabel, but has no place on the concert platform.

Don't just edit the women Peter. Maybe you are really Aunt Mabel and I had better blog as a man next time around.

Comment

Ok, let me do you guys one by one.

KyleC, lol, you did clear things up now: for I can see it's obvious that you are in agreement with almost all what I had to say in the first place.

Sorano, what can I say man, let's hope that your art doesn't represent the same lack of individuality...

Bessy, let's get married baby.

Peter,

Intepretation requires much more than a moment's thought, it's true because every single musician sees much more than what's written on the score itself. Interpretation turns out to be different because every single musician interprets the same piece, based on his individual taste. I never had any objection to professional approach to nothing, otherwise I wouldn't be in a university studing myself?

You wrote: "... With a little humility one recognises we can learn from others who have achieved far more than we can ever hope."

Do you think that kind of comments, whose nature is obviously unrefutable, is relevant regarding this issue? Please drop them, otherwise you're just being a more refined version of KyleC, lol.

You wrote: "Beethoven was no mere entertainer."

Firstly, what's so "mere" about entertainers? Aren't all artstic performers enterainers? Secondly, whatever else Beethoven was, his practical value to others lies in artistic entertainment.

I'm glad you are not "advocating sameness"; I'm ever glader that you know those great artists are "all very different". Scholarship is an all time no-significant factor; "respect for the score" means nothing more than respect for the composer's talent. A score is there to be played out in different versions (Please note that I used "is" instead of something like "should be").

You have no desire to argue with me? Then how come I've been arguing with nobody else but you for the past few months in this rather sleepy forum?

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 03-15-2005).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uniqor:
        I never had any objection to professional approach to nothing, otherwise I wouldn't be in a university studing myself?

Good luck with your studies - I wouldn't be surprised if you were doing law, you'd make a good advocate!

You have no desire to argue with me? Then how come I've been arguing with nobody else but you for the past few months in this rather sleepy forum?

I'd say it was debate more than argument, but I'm glad you haven't gone into a coma yet! Perhaps I can recommend listening to some of the authentic performances presented on this site as an antidote?

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Uniqor:
          Peter, a person who puts himself at the service of others is... someone who should go back to Beethoven's time and live there.

Personally, I cultivate music for enriching my own spiritual life, not enhancing others' in an imitative way, especially not for someone who died a couple of centuries ago. Wether I am a performer or composer, is absolutely of no relavence here - I can enjoy myself both ways, and that's what's really important. To say again, the whole poin of art is to entertain. Actually, the whole point of life is to make yourself happy and fullfilled. If everyone embarking on a way in which he carries on some onelse's tradition, then the world can never advance, we'll all die of boredom for sure.

In absolute terms, nobody is at the service of nobody, everyone is at his own interest, especially in this modern society, despite wether you'd like to admitte it or not. Art's development is due to nothing but individuality; art's preciousness is because of nothing but variaty.

You'll probably do well at something that's strictly systematic and rigid, art, especially the art of sound, is the exact opposite thing to that. This is one reason why I admire Beethoven - his ever so revolutionary creativity.

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 03-13-2005).]
          If you wrote a book, I would buy it. Beautifully articulated.

Comment

Hi Bessy, Bessy hi. This is a Heine that I just read, I'd like to post it for you here:

"There stands a lonely pine-tree,
            In the north on a barren height.
            He sleeps while the ice and snow flakes,
            Swathe him in folds of white.

He dreams of a palm-tree,
            Far in the sunrise-land.
            Lonely and silent longing,
            On her burning bank of sand."

I'm longing for someone whose assumption is not prejudiced; whose intellect is lucid; whose attitude is open... So, consider this as a formal proposal.

Peter, thanks for the compliment, but I'm not sure if I'd consider your suggestion. Schumann struggled so hard between "law and music, poetry and prose", I don't want to do the same. Economics and Finance are giving me enough headache as it is...

Comment

[QUOTE]

I'm longing for someone whose assumption is not prejudiced; whose intellect is lucid; whose attitude is open... So, consider this as a formal proposal.

And only in a place like this do words come from the heart, blinded to age or beauty; deaf to notes out of tune; oblivious to all that is mundane. Then again, Beauty and the Beast was my favorite book.

I accept. (I assume that Peter will insist on the lengthy prenup.)

Comment

Peter, I've got a suggestion for your next mp3: Mendelson Wedding March. Forget Beethoven for now, this is a special occasion!

bessy bessy bessy bessy bessy bessy bessy...

Comment

Peter, I've got a suggestion for your next mp3: Mendelson Wedding March. Forget Beethoven for now, this is a special occasion!

No we'll stick with Beethoven and how about the Scottish song Op.108/1 "Music, love and Wine"!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Uni - my sweet love, Violin Romance No 2, 2nd Mvt,Rachmaninoff Violin Concerto in F minor, (Four Seasons) Largo - Vivaldi... and, of course, there is always Marvin Gaye and Sexual Healing. Nothing is too powerful for an intimate internet wedding.

Muss es sein? Es Muss sein! Es muss sein!

(I will insist on drowning my sorrow in Rach No 2 in C Minor whenever you are away.)

Comment

I forgot about Moonlight Sonata. (Gotta love those ninths.)

[This message has been edited by Bessy (edited 03-17-2005).]

Comment

Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in this company.....
                        If any person can show just cause why Uniqor & Bessy may not be joined together, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace.

Now playing: Beethoven's romance for flute & guitar.
                        By the Venus Ensemble

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 03-17-2005).]
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

You cheeky, cheeeeeky people!

Cake, cake! Wine, wine! Light, light! MUSIC, MUSIC!

Peter, let the piano shiver! Amalie, make the violin tramble! Sorano, give us a psudo-surprano! KyleC, where are you boy of joy?

Holding her, waltzing her, showering my dove with kisses of love - melting with her in the sea of love! LOVE, LOOOOVE!

Phew baby, what an occasion, what a day! Where u wana spend the honeymoon honey?

Comment

You cheeky, cheeeeeky people!

Cake, cake! Wine, wine! Light, light! MUSIC, MUSIC!

Peter, let the piano shiver! Amalie, make the violin tramble! Sorano, give us a psudo-surprano! KyleC, where are you boy of joy?

Holding her, waltzing her, showering my dove with kisses of love - melting with her in the sea of love! LOVE, LOOOOVE!

Phew baby, what an occasion, what a day! Where u wana spend the honeymoon honey?

Best of luck, lots of children and offcourse lots of music ...it's me first internetwedding...hope ya like the toaster I bought ya

Greetz,
                            Ruud

Comment

Of course: lots of little Mozarts and Beethovens!

Love your toaster Ruud, luuuuv it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uniqor

[/B]
                                Melting sounds lovely. I'd rather dance than breathe. Pick a waltz, any waltz. http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Oeuvres/M...s.html#Anh14-1

For that matter, pick an island, any island.
                                http://www.islands.com

March 17
                                In the afternoon

forever yours
                                forever mine
                                forever us.com

Comment

Working...
                                X