Was Beethoven a mason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Beethoven a mason?

I red in "Da Vinci Code" that Ludwig van Beethoven was a mason. Is that true?

Originally posted by Ludwig:
    Mozart was a Mason and so was Haydn for awhile but I have never read that Beethoven was.

Comment

Here is an interesting link to a previous discussion.
      http://www.gyrix.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001120.html

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig:
        I wouldn't believe a word of the Da Vinci Code!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          I wouldn't believe a word of the Da Vinci Code!

Absolutely ! I was about to say that The author has made millions out of this book, and good luck to him.
          There is only one slight problem, the book is a work of outrageous fiction, parading as some sort of semblance of fact. Of course, if this was a book on the Muslim faith, it would be banned.
          But its ridiculous falsifications of Freemasonry, Christianity and Womanhood, we are supposed to just lamely accept as though are fair game .

------------------

Comment

I think I remember ,was it Gottfried von Swieten who tried to get Beethoven to join.
            It was a great fashion of the time ,they were banned all over the place at various times.Mozart wanted to begin his own chapter in 1790.
            But I don't believe that Beethoven was a joiner,his deafness precluded those sorts of social gatherings.If you wanted Beethoven to hear what you had to say you would have to sit right beside him and write in his book.
            So, I think the Masons wouldn't have been very interesting for him.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

From a program devoted to LvB's life, I heard it was Karl Holz, LvB's young supporter in the mid-1820s, who declared that Beethoven had (once?) been member within the masonic order. Whether this notion stems from his own writings or if it is known to later generations from some ill quotation given by a biographer I did not get hold of.
              Hopefully one of us can check up on this matter.
              Geratlas sending over to You:::<

Comment

Working...
              X