The Maestro's late string quartets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Maestro's late string quartets

I was born and raised on the Guarneri Quartet's version from circa 1968 which I don't think is on CD. In restless search for another supreme recording I have reserved Quartetto Italiano but before I purchase I was wondering if any of my colleagues out there have recommendations? Money no object with a purchase of this importance

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Hey Tony ,
    I wondered where you had got to,so glad to have you back.Quartetto Italiano is the only recording I own of the Late String Quartets.
    I love it and think they play splendidly,if the opinion of a cook makes any difference to you.Rod probably knows a better CD.
    spacerl
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_ London:
      I was born and raised on the Guarneri Quartet's version from circa 1968 which I don't think is on CD. In restless search for another supreme recording I have reserved Quartetto Italiano but before I purchase I was wondering if any of my colleagues out there have recommendations? Money no object with a purchase of this importance

Tony dear - a little while ago I and some others had a bit of a conversation about this on the WAYLTN thread. The QI is a benchmark recording but to my taste a bit too lush - putting the Chamber well and truly back into Chamber music. My personal preference which has similar critical acclaim ( though some doubters from the other side of the Pond) is the set by the Lindsays ( originally from Sheffield, like me!). These to me convey more of the interiority and the sheer strangeness of what the Boss was doing, especially in the late Quartets and compel me to pay attention and listen. They are currently in the middle of a new cycle which also being well received, but the set I have which is the complete set you'll find in any decent record store is the classic one - and is also very good value, often appearing in the HMV sale. I'm very happy to lend it to you to sample. Of course if money really is no object you could get both probably for about £60 and have fun comparing and contrasting..... See you again soon I hope.

------------------
      Beethoven the Man!
      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

The Emerson Quartet did a complete recording that was highly acclaimed. I've listened to that and I quite like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_ London:
          I was born and raised on the Guarneri Quartet's version from circa 1968 which I don't think is on CD. .... I was wondering if any of my colleagues out there have recommendations?...

I was raised on the cheap Czech Supraphon LPs in the 1960s and -70s. A couple of years ago I found a boxed set of the complete quartes played by the Vlach Quartet from that time, trensferred to CDs, and I grabbed it immediately. What a disappointment! The sound quality had suffered terribly from vinyl to CD. I am glad that I still have the good old record player, so I can enjoy the Vlach-, Smetana- and Janacek Quartets play all the Beethoven quartets. Some scraches here and there, but what performances! The Czechs have Beethoven in their blood.

Comment

Working...
          X