Piano Sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Sonatas

New to Classical Music, have listened to Advertures in Good music, Schickley Mix; hammered by Beethoven's piano works. Who's recording's should I look for? Thanks, Don.

Not sure what this means Don?
    Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by dgolds:
      New to Classical Music, have listened to Advertures in Good music, Schickley Mix; hammered by Beethoven's piano works. Who's recording's should I look for? Thanks, Don.
      I've got john lills recordings of beethoven sonata's quite worth the effort I'd say

Comment

I'm looking for peoples opinons on who's recording's of Beethovens Sonatas are worth listening to.
        Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
        Not sure what this means Don?

Comment

Thanks for the info, I don't know who John Lills is (my ignorance), but this will give me some thing to ask about at our record stores.
          Originally posted by ruudp:
          I've got john lills recordings of beethoven sonata's quite worth the effort I'd say

Comment

Thanks for the info, I don't know who John Lills is (my ignorance), but this will give me some thing to ask about at our record stores.

Look out for any of these sets:

Richard Goode -Elektra Nonesuch 7559-79328-2
            Brendel - Philips 412 575-2PH11
            Schnabel (1935 - mono) (PEARL)

Period instrument (Fortepiano) - Paul Komen

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Every Beethoven sonata is worth listening to! However, I recomend the piano sonatas, especially #15, #21, and #23. Alfred Brendel and Vladimir Ashkenazy both did brilliant versions of these masterpieces.
              Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

As I mentioned on one of the other threads - I've just bought the set by Jean-Bernard Pommier on Erato - not perhaps as distinguished as some of those mentioned above - but at £15 an incredible bargain for well regarded performances and excellent recording. And at that price you can work out what your favourites are and then buy them on specific CDs by some of the truly greats or even afford a second set later when you're clearer what style you like and looking for.!

------------------
                Beethoven the Man!
                Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Thanks for the recomendation, I've heard different artists do the same piece and couldn't believe the variety of interpretations. Have a good one, Don.
                  Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                  As I mentioned on one of the other threads - I've just bought the set by Jean-Bernard Pommier on Erato - not perhaps as distinguished as some of those mentioned above - but at £15 an incredible bargain for well regarded performances and excellent recording. And at that price you can work out what your favourites are and then buy them on specific CDs by some of the truly greats or even afford a second set later when you're clearer what style you like and looking for.!

Comment

Thanks for the recomendations, I first heard the Appasionata a few years ago, and couldn't believe my ears!
                    Originally posted by Big D:
                    Every Beethoven sonata is worth listening to! However, I recomend the piano sonatas, especially #15, #21, and #23. Alfred Brendel and Vladimir Ashkenazy both did brilliant versions of these masterpieces.

Comment

As big D mentions, I'd recommend Ashkenazy set. In case you don't want to buy a complete set, you surely will enjoy Arthur Rubinstein (can't remember the discographic, the one that is using the RCA seal). There's at least 1 cd of him playing LvB piano sonatas (remastered & budget) containing the apassionata, the moonlight and les adieux. An extraordinary way to start too.

Comment

Silvia Capova has a masterly way with the Appassionata. You can find that performance (plus quite-not-so-special performances of the "moonlight' and "pathetique") on a cheap Amadis Cd. It'll cost you about $3.00.

Also try Pletnev on Virgin if you like less bombastic, but very rewarding Beethoven.

Comment

i agree about Ashkenazy... there's this great 2 cd set: "Beethoven - Favourite Piano Sonatas" played by Vladimir Ashkenazy. it has

moonlight
                          tempest
                          les adieux
                          pathetique
                          appassionata
                          pastoral
                          waldstein

and it's really awesome.
                          especially appassionata.

Comment

I recomend you any Beethoven sonata, on Brendel or Arrau sets... Schnabel's set is a great version to. If you want an Orchestral work i recomend you the Triple concerto and Choral Fantasy with Daniel Barenboim, its just an amazing work. And to me the best work of Beethoven is the ninth symphony!!! Just Rocks

Comment

Beethoven's piano works: Who's recording's should I look for?

I have Malcolm Bilsen performing on period fortepianos. Just awesome!
                              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                              X