thoughts on "Appassionata"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on "Appassionata"?

so what do you think of this AMAZING sonata???

Well, I think I like it!! The thrilling climax is equalled only by the one of Op.110 in my view. Such driven intensity, I have to stand up to listen to it. The final F minor chord sounds like the slamming shut of a coffin lid.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      Well, I think I like it!! The thrilling climax is equalled only by the one of Op.110 in my view. Such driven intensity, I have to stand up to listen to it. The final F minor chord sounds like the slamming shut of a coffin lid.
      If I had the technical capability I don't think I would have the emotional stamina to play through it--especially that last movement. I like your description of the last chord.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
        so what do you think of this AMAZING sonata???
        Well you are right - it is amazing! Several facts, it is the first of the sonatas in which the exposition is not repeated (Beethoven also did this with the 1st of the Razumovsky quartets). The title 'Appassionata' (like the 'Moonlight') was not Beethoven's but the publisher's (Cranz). Beethoven had originally written the first movement in 4/4 time but changed the metre to 12/8 - a subtle difference which implies the Allegro assai referring to the quaver note instead of the crotchet - ie a slightly slower tempo which heightens the drama by bringing out the quaver triplet beats.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Well you are right - it is amazing! Several facts, it is the first of the sonatas in which the exposition is not repeated (Beethoven also did this with the 1st of the Razumovsky quartets).
          Also, in the finale, the development and recapitulation are (or should be) repeated which gives an added air of endless desperation to the movement.

Michael

Comment

well i will be making an attempt to play the last movement of this song. it is wicked fast and i have been told to learn each hand seperatly so that my head doesnt explode. what else can i do to keep my head from exploding and to get the tempo to where it should be?

Comment

it is one of my favourite pieces of music ever. definitely my favourite piano sonata.

perfection

Comment

ummmm...

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
                  ummmm...
                  Also my favourite piano sonata!

Comment

Passion expressed in constrained classism and sonata form... nevertheless, the romantic pioneering in it is worthy of all ears.

Comment

Wow!
                      Wild, passionate, beautiful, unique.

Comment

Working...
                      X