Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me from which this quotation about Beethoven is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me from which this quotation about Beethoven is?

Hello, I need to know the author of this quotation as soon as possible. He said it about the 5th sinphonie of Beethoven and it's like this: "It is very great, it's absolutly crazy"
    in french it's about: c'est très grand, c'est absolument fou"
    I hope someone can help me with it!
    Regards, Johanna

Originally posted by Johanna:
    Hello, I need to know the author of this quotation as soon as possible. He said it about the 5th sinphonie of Beethoven and it's like this: "It is very great, it's absolutly crazy"
    in french it's about: c'est très grand, c'est absolument fou"
    I hope someone can help me with it!
    Regards, Johanna

Is that not attributed to soldier in the audience??
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Is that not attributed to soldier in the audience??
      Yes at a performance in Paris, a veteran soldier sprang to his feet crying 'C'est L'Empereur!' However Johanna may be referring to Berlioz's teacher Lesueur who on hearing the 5th exclaimed 'It's amazing! Wonderful - all the same music like that ought not to be written" to which Berlioz replied "Don't worry master, there's not much danger that it will."

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 01-11-2005).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I wonder would it have been Goethe? When the opening of the Fifth Symphony was played to him (by Mendelssohn) he said something like: "It is quite big .... one feels as if the house were about to come down!" (Maybe he said it in French).
        Michael

Comment

Hello Michael,
          I'm glad that you told me this, because in the meantime i found the quotation it really is from Goethe - so now i'm definitely convinced!
          Thank you all a lot for your help, Johanna

Comment

Goethe quotes on Music... em, a lot of studing to do, or not at all.

Comment

Working...
            X