Best Performances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Performances

Which are your preferations of Beethoven recordings? Ex: Compete Symphonies, Complete Piano Sonatas, Complete Violin Sonatas etc..?

Originally posted by xenor:
    Which are your preferations of Beethoven recordings? Ex: Compete Symphonies, Complete Piano Sonatas, Complete Violin Sonatas etc..?

For the Symphonies I prefer the Toscanini recordings, but have enjoyed the ones by Norrington and Hogwood recently. The piano music (sonatas, etc.) I like Brendel.

Comment

Brendel's Tempest is quite different from all the rest, not least with respect to his own individual style, but the way he makes the piece sounds - they sound different, yet there is no false involved! I can't recall in which recording he made the distinguishly sounding Tempest, but maybe you should pay attention to any, expecialy to the end of the allegro of the first movement... It sounds of a dual nature! I mean, try to listen to it many times with "different ears" if you know what I mean, then you'll find that as if the score's been altered! Could be the mastery of our composer again, but Brendel discovered and expressed it.

You may find Brendel's Appassionata and Hammerklavier disappointing. I personally prefer Atur Pizzaro's recording with BBC on those two. Afterall, Brendel doesn't want to "interpret" too much, that obviously is bound to make him lose energy at times, and "emotionless" at a lot of times in Chopin... Maybe that's why he didn't do any Chopin except a few waltz and polonaises - well you know, there are at core rigid dances.

This is a intrigingly briliant link, with extracts from all Beethoven sonatas - I like them all, 'cause I think they represent Beethoven closer than any other pianist's.
      http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beeth...o_sonatas.html

Comment

Working...
      X