What is your personal Top Twenty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Out of curiosity, what number did the Dvorak 6th Symphony have assigned to it at that time? I know that the symphonies were renumbered fairly recently (as in the past 20 - 30 years).
    Sorrano,
    In Dvorak's time it was refered to as the Symphony No. 1 in D Major Op.60. The confusion about the numbering and opus numbers is brought about by two causes. His first two Symhonies were not published in his lifetime and along with two others were omitted from the numbering list thus No.6 was No.1 and No.7 was No.2, No.5 was No.3, No.8 was No.4 and finally No.9 was No.5. Fortunately back in the 1960's the the first two symphonies along with the other seven were finally put in the order we now know today.
    As for the Opus numbers, Dvorak intentionally used lower opus numbers on some of his works to lead Simrock, his publisher, into believing that they were early works so that Simrock would not pick up his option on the works thus leaving Dvorak to sell them elsewhere at a reasonable price. One more hurdle revolves around the Symphony No.5 with the Opus number of 76, which was originally op.24. Symphonies Nos. 6 Op.60 and 7 Op.70 came after the Op.76 and the higher opus number is because Dvorak revised the work twice. Now that all this is straightened out all that is left is to sit back and enjoy the wonderful symphonic music of Dvorak, for that matter all of his music.
    By the way, I have a Columbia Lp record of the Dvorak 6th and the title on the jacket is No.1. It is performed by Erich Leinsdorf and the Cleveland Orchestra. The date on the jacket is 1949

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 02-04-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
      Sorrano,
      In Dvorak's time it was refered to as the Symphony No. 1 in D Major Op.60. The confusion about the numbering and opus numbers is brought about by two causes. His first two Symhonies were not published in his lifetime and along with two others were omitted from the numbering list thus No.6 was No.1 and No.7 was No.2, No.5 was No.3, No.8 was No.4 and finally No.9 was No.5. Fortunately back in the 1960's the the first two symphonies along with the other seven were finally put in the order we now know today.
      As for the Opus numbers, Dvorak intentionally used lower opus numbers on some of his works to lead Simrock, his publisher, into believing that they were early works so that Simrock would not pick up his option on the works thus leaving Dvorak to sell them elsewhere at a reasonable price. One more hurdle revolves around the Symphony No.5 with the Opus number of 76, which was originally op.24. Symphonies Nos. 6 Op.60 and 7 Op.70 came after the Op.76 and the higher opus number is because Dvorak revised the work twice. Now that all this is straightened out all that is left is to sit back and enjoy the wonderful symphonic music of Dvorak, for that matter all of his music.
      By the way, I have a Columbia Lp record of the Dvorak 6th and the title on the jacket is No.1. It is performed by Erich Leinsdorf and the Cleveland Orchestra. The date on the jacket is 1949

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 02-04-2005).]

Thanks for the info! I've read some of this before, but in my younger days I was terribly confused about the numbering (I was never sure which the New World Symphony was until the numbering system stabilized).

The 7th and 9th symphonies of Dvorak would certainly be contenders for my top 25 list.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I've read some of this before, but in my younger days I was terribly confused about the numbering (I was never sure which the New World Symphony was until the numbering system stabilized).

The 7th and 9th symphonies of Dvorak would certainly be contenders for my top 25 list.
        You have a good taste in music, especialy Dvorak.

Comment

You have a good taste in music, especialy Dvorak.
          I think Dvorak is the most underrated composer of the 19th Century.

After listening to the first movement of the Beethoven 5th Piano Concerto I would have to list this as my number 1. The rest of the list is impossible to select since my preferences change from time to time.

Comment

I think Dvorak is the most underrated composer of the 19th Century.

After listening to the first movement of the Beethoven 5th Piano Concerto I would have to list this as my number 1. The rest of the list is impossible to select since my preferences change from time to time.
            Sorrano,
            I would have left off the 19th century. Dvorak is hills and peaks over most composers of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Comment

I could never do a top twenty. How anyone can pick their personal favorites from all the great music that has been written is beyond me.

------------------
              Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!
              Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

First of all Beethoven's works. I can not to number them.
                Never enough!

Comment

Sorrano,
                  I would have left off the 19th century. Dvorak is hills and peaks over most composers of the 19th and 20th centuries.
                  The 20th Century is so much different for me than the 19th that I don't generally make such comparisons. However, there are a number of pieces from the 20th Century that might crack a top 20 or a top 50 list for me.

Comment

BACH
                    tocata d
                    goldberg
                    invention a
                    violincon a

MOZART
                    anglaise
                    pianoson a
                    pianocon 20
                    symphon 41

BEETHOVEN
                    pianoson 1, 14, 17, 20
                    pianocon 5
                    violincon
                    symphon1, 5, 7

SHUBERT
                    hedgrose
                    trout

BERLOIZ
                    fantastique

CHOPIN
                    etude e
                    nocturn e
                    fantasimp
                    pianocon 2

PAGANINI
                    violincon 2

BRAHMS
                    waltz a
                    hungarian 5

TCHAIKOVSKY
                    pianocon 1
                    romeo & juleit
                    swanlake
                    nutcracker

GRIEG
                    pianocon

DEBUSSY
                    flaxengirl
                    moonlite

BIZET
                    carmen

DVORAK
                    homoresque

SHOSTAKOVICH
                    quartets

Kraisler
                    Leibesleid

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 03-01-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 03-01-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                    X