No announcement yet.

What are we listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mighty 9th, Berlin PO / Abbado on DVD. Not only an excellent version of the 9th, but very interesting to see the performers. Of course, not quite like being there, but the next best thing!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

We were six adults and three children under the age of five at my dinner party last night . Everyone had a great time and the Vegetarian food was a hit even with the meateaters.But today the house is a rubbish tip with a sink full of dirty dishes and some unidentified sticky mass under the table. Nevermind,the cure for this will be Schubert's complete works for Violin and Piano .
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        The mighty 9th, Berlin PO / Abbado on DVD. Not only an excellent version of the 9th, but very interesting to see the performers. Of course, not quite like being there, but the next best thing!

Gurn: Is this the recording with Leonard Bernstein and the wall coming down in 1989?

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
          No, it is a brand new set, just released in the last year, Berlin PO in Rome. Excellent performances in what I have seen so far (4th and 9th). The quality of picture and sound on these DVD's is outstanding, I must say, and the performances are equal to it. I got the set dirt cheap from a guy who bought it in Japan, and found out when he got home that it wouldn't play on American TV's. But computers know no nationality, it playes perfectly on mine!

Right now, it is a series of piano concerti by Hummel. At the turn of the century, he was Beethoven's only serious competition in this genre. Time has made the choice, and it is a good one, but that is not to say that these are anything less than first rate.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy, I saw that one (I think it was broadcast live, but I saw it afterwards) on PBS then I did purchase it later when it was available on DVD.

Today, after catching the end of Rachmaninoff's Rapsody on a theme of Paganini I am listening to J. Strauss' The Sanguine One Waltz. (I'm not much of a Strauss fan but that's what's on the radio right now.)

Comment

J.S. BACH - Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht BWV 211
              Along to a fine beaner, I enjoy the dialogue between 'Schlendrian' and 'Liesgen' through the Coffee Cantata.... GREAT!
              'Der pastrl lässt das Mausen nicht.'

Comment

On this bright sunny day its Tchaikovsky, his Symphony No. 6 in B minor the 'Pathetique'. This music although grand and beautiful is full of sadness and I need a sunny day to listen to it. Poor Peter, he died a short time after the first performance. What a sad life he lived.....but what wonderful music he brought forth.

Comment

I think Tchaikovsky wrote his goodbyes in the 6th.What a troubled fellow and if he really was "tried and convicted" undergound by his peers and sentenced to death ,shame on them.I'm hopeing for their sake that it really was the cholera.

I'm listening to Hummel's piano trio in G opus 35 played by the Beaux Arts Trio.
                  Excellent!
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    Joy,
                    No, it is a brand new set, just released in the last year, Berlin PO in Rome. Excellent performances in what I have seen so far (4th and 9th). The quality of picture and sound on these DVD's is outstanding, I must say, and the performances are equal to it. I got the set dirt cheap from a guy who bought it in Japan, and found out when he got home that it wouldn't play on American TV's. But computers know no nationality, it playes perfectly on mine!

Right now, it is a series of piano concerti by Hummel. At the turn of the century, he was Beethoven's only serious competition in this genre. Time has made the choice, and it is a good one, but that is not to say that these are anything less than first rate.

Hummel indd wrote some superb little works for the piano, right now it's the link presented by one of the board members. artur pizarro's rendition of the opus 78 sonata is quite good I must say...moving on till I reach the hammerklavier...really looking forward on that one ...other news, our music teacher *from the school* found a 8 hand 2 piano transcription of weber's invitation to dance and the battlehymne of the republic, I and 3 other pupils may be the lucky ones performing these pieces on a school concerto the 11th of march...quite excited

Greetz,
                    Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                      [B]Joy, I saw that one (I think it was broadcast live, but I saw it afterwards) on PBS then I did purchase it later when it was available on DVD.

B]
                      Sorrano, are you talking about the 1989 Leonard Bernstein performance of the 9th or the one Gurn is talking about? I have the Bernstein on video, an outstanding version of the 9th I think.

Earlier today Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #5!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                        Sorrano, are you talking about the 1989 Leonard Bernstein performance of the 9th or the one Gurn is talking about? I have the Bernstein on video, an outstanding version of the 9th I think.

Earlier today Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #5!

I was referring to the Bernstein of '89. I was absolutely thrilled when I caught it on TV; I thought it was a great live performance, too.

Comment

I thought so too, Sorrano. One of the best! Makes me want to get it out again and watch it!

As for today, it's Mendelsohn's Midsummer Night's Dream, can't go wrong with that.

------------------

Comment

Among the wonders of retirement is the ability to have a Beethoven afternoon without interruption. This afternoon it has been all LvB , his piano concertos w/
                            Brendel, listening to the final movement of the "Emperor" and then its on to the Triple Concerto, the Violin Concerto and ending with the Choral Fantasy. Who said to much of a good thing is bad, must have been somebody in a hurry to go somewhere.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 02-04-2005).]

Comment

I attended the Opera House last Friday and experienced Peer Gynt, ballet by Schnittke, with modest interess.
                              Not for me. Readily at home in my home I have been listening much to Brahms First Concerto. It has often been criticized as being ungrateful to its soloist, but it certainly reward the patient listener.

Comment

Actually Swiss Classic Radio - Jospeh Martin Kraus - Overture to the Opera 'Prosperine' http://www.radioswissclassic.ch/nav/...et.php?lang=en

Comment

Working...
                                X