What are we listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrea,
    That IS a great collection, and the price can't be beat either, very good!

Spacerl,
    Is that the piano solo version of Mendelssohn? I like that pretty well, and the cello & piano even better. His version of bagatelles, I think.

For me, just back from an early round of golf to avoid the predicted rain, it is the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven. Chamber Orchestra of Europe/Harnoncourt. A nice HIP version, anf for once Nicolas and I agree on tempi!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Andrea,
      That IS a great collection, and the price can't be beat either, very good!

Spacerl,
      Is that the piano solo version of Mendelssohn? I like that pretty well, and the cello & piano even better. His version of bagatelles, I think.

For me, just back from an early round of golf to avoid the predicted rain, it is the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven. Chamber Orchestra of Europe/Harnoncourt. A nice HIP version, anf for once Nicolas and I agree on tempi!

My name's back and so am I back in the game...the ninth it also has been for me, with my only version I can tolerate *I've got 3 versions of which 2 CHEAP*..the szelti version with the cleveland orchestra.Also it's been the slow movement of the pathetique performed by myself...by no means a performance worth a concert but still a rewarding piece too play even If I've got too admit I'll play it wrongly at times...also rach's 2nd concerto has been up with klara wurtz on the piano and perhaps some scarlatti sonata's by pieter jan belder on harpschichord lovely playing..and..what the hey..chopin's first ballad by klara würtz once again and some of his nocturnes on a 1849 pleyel performed by bart van oort..my evening is as good as it can get.
      Lovely listening ya'all.

Comment

Ruud,
        Actually, I like Rudie better, but we shall go with your preference! That Szell/Claveland performance is a very good 9th, Sony always picks good, classic performances for their "Essential Classica", I have lots of them, and not a poor one in the bunch. They are even now remastering them so that the annoying hiss that is in many of them goes away. Hard to beat Szell/Claveland, or Philadelphia/Ormandy for performance quality though! I bet that Pathetique was a lot better than you give yourself credit for, too

For me, it is 4 string quartets by Joseph Kraus. Known primarily for his wonderful classical symphonies, he composed a set of 6 quartets in 1784, they are credited as the very first Swedish chamber music, even though he was German. To me, they sound a lot like Haydn's Op 20 (of 1772 or 3) and are really quite interesting. Glad I have them!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Schubert's fabulous Fantasie D 934.
          What makes this a Fantasie and not a Sonata?
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven, Romance in F,0p.50
            Taik-Ju-Lee [violin]
            Young-Lan- Han [piano]

Groneman, Flute sonata, in G
            Marcelo Bussi [harpsichord]
            Jed Wenz [flute], Balazs [cello

Brahnms, Piano Trio, 0p.40
            Balba Skride [violin]
            Linda Skride [viola]
            Lauma Skride [piano]

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I got a loose Carl Maria von Weber day today. First there were the works for Piano and Orchestra, then the Overtures and now Symphonies 1+2.

All good and well, but I begin to miss Wolferl's tunes since I'm not used to be without for soooooo long.... -> later then Keyboard Works 4-Hands: Sonata in C major KV.19d (1765) remembering when Wolferl and Nannerl sit there together at the Fortepiano

Comment

...and founded a new genre since they played only on one piano. Right now a late work, the Great Sonata in C, KV.521, written at the same time like 'Don Giovanni' and completed one day after his father died in Salzburg.
                However a great work

Comment

Why, Beethoven, of course! The fourth symphony to be precise.

Comment

Franz Schubert's Symphony No.9 in C Major and his string quartet No.14 'Death and the Maiden'. Stirring music on his birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Brahms, Piano Trio, 0p.40
                      Balba Skride [violin]
                      Linda Skride [viola]
                      Lauma Skride [piano]

The Brahms opus 40 trio is for piano, horn, and violin. A piano trio consists of a piano, a violin , and a 'cello. So, who made this unusual arrangement of a Brahms composition?
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
                        The Brahms opus 40 trio is for piano, horn, and violin. A piano trio consists of a piano, a violin , and a 'cello. So, who made this unusual arrangement of a Brahms composition?

If you go back to Amalie's message, you will see that she was referring not to Brahms, but to Brahnms, the well-known composer of piano trios!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

If you go back to Amalie's message, you will see that she was referring not to Brahms, but to Brahnms, the well-known composer of piano trios!
                          No Michael, it was a typographical error! A Yahoo search that I performed on BRAHNMS only returned 11 links, all of which refer to BRAHMS. One of the links was a list of Brahms' works. I checked opus 40 and learned that a viola or a 'cello may substitute for the horn! That was an interesting discovery, and I thank Amalie for bringing it to my attention.
                          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Hofrat,
                            The Brahms Piano Trio piece I heard this morning [which I also thought unusual] was from BBC Radio 3, play list, recorded from a live performance.
                            Viola or cello may replace the horn, apparently. Thankyou for highlighting that for me .

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 01-31-2005).]

Comment

Schickhardt: Concerto in Gm
                              Musica Ad Rhenum

Constatin Dedekind:
                              Der Herr ist mein Hirre.
                              Violin & Continuo.
                              Musica Alta Ripa.

------------------

Comment

W.A. Mozart
                                Der Liebe himmlisches Gefühl, KV.119
                                Vorrei spiegarvi, oh Dio, KV.418
                                Cara, se le mie pene, KV. deest

Francine van der Heyden - soprano

Comment

Working...
                                X